Layering Opti-Seal

CharlesW

Rather than talk about any possible benefits of multiple applications of Opti-Seal, what are any drawbacks that can occur?

I'm not talking about the 10, 20, 30, 50+ so called layers that you read about with some products.

I'm interested in the normal, (for me :snack[1]:), 4 to 6 week applications.

A typical prep would be Poli-Seal with polishing pad and a PC a couple of times a year.

That would be followed by an application of Opti-Seal.

The next wash, I would again apply Opti-Seal and my two coats assure complete coverage and seem to look good.

My question is, how many times can I apply Opti-Seal before I need to use the Poli-Seal again?

If I apply Opti-Seal every 4 to 6 weeks, will I get a build-up that can/will affect the look?

I usually do a fall and spring polishing and just apply the LSP in between. Occasionally, I will use a spray wax as part of a rinseless wash.

Most of my washing is done with a rinseless or waterless product and the vehicles are washed as often as needed if the weather allows it.

Heck, I have been known to wash the same vehicle three times in one day. Special circumstances, though. :snack[1]:

Its a good question and no doubt somebody will be along to answer it more scientifically but I think you`ve got a good system and would guess you`d only need to use the Poly-Seal again as and when you thought it required it.

I would suggest reapplying PS after claying, whenever you need a light polish, or if you have light marring. PS has cleaners to remove paint contamination while OOS is only a protectant. There should be NO side effects to multiple layers of OOS, but IME there is no benefit in protection or appearance after 3 coats. Heck, you can use it as a quick detailer after every wash if you like. Paint contaminates attachment depends on many factors: garage kept, interstate driving, industrial fallout, etc. You can determine your need for PS and claying by inspecting your paint after washing. Does it have the luster that in did originally, does it feel slick and smooth, does it feel rough when you rub over it with a plastic baggie? These factors will determine when you need correction and not just protection.

Hope that helps

Chris

Information always helps and is appreciated. :snack[1]:

Actually, my concern is/was only about any build-up of Opti-Seal from regular use. In my case with garage kept daily drivers, the use of a polish seems to only be necessary a couple of times a year. Obviously, there may be times when that would change because of some type of blemish or scuff, but as far as swirl removal and general paint cleaning, the twice a year time schedule has worked pretty good. Since that roughly 6 months time period could mean 6 or more applications of the OS, I didn't want to overdo it.

Information always helps and is appreciated. :snack[1]:

Actually, my concern is/was only about any build-up of Opti-Seal from regular use. In my case with garage kept daily drivers, the use of a polish seems to only be necessary a couple of times a year. Obviously, there may be times when that would change because of some type of blemish or scuff, but as far as swirl removal and general paint cleaning, the twice a year time schedule has worked pretty good. Since that roughly 6 months time period could mean 6 or more applications of the OS, I didn't want to overdo it.

Sounds like you live in a mild climate like I do. I started with 3 layers of OS as many people suggest. Just for kicks I added a 4th layer to one panel about a week later and saw no improvement in shine or depth so I settled on 3 and have been very happy with it.

Now about every 60 days when I notice the shine going down a little I add one layer of OS and presto it looks just as it did when I applied the initial 3 layers.

Some people who live in harsher climates add it once a month from what I have read with no problems. I don't think you can apply to much but if it isn't improving the looks of the car then why apply it? Once a month at the most seems reasonable to me.

Sounds like you live in a mild climate like I do. I started with 3 layers of OS as many people suggest. Just for kicks I added a 4th layer to one panel about a week later and saw no improvement in shine or depth so I settled on 3 and have been very happy with it.

Now about every 60 days when I notice the shine going down a little I add one layer of OS and presto it looks just as it did when I applied the initial 3 layers.

Some people who live in harsher climates add it once a month from what I have read with no problems. I don't think you can apply to much but if it isn't improving the looks of the car then why apply it? Once a month at the most seems reasonable to me.

My profile is now updated to show my location. Sorry about that.

Mild is not quite how I would describe our climate, but we really don't have the extremes that many areas have. We have very few days above 90 to 95 degrees and very few days below 0 degrees Fahrenheit.

I seem to remember it being suggested to allow the Opti-Seal to cure for a day before adding more. What I do at my semi-annual detail is apply my LSP, Opti-Seal or otherwise and add another within a few days. From then on, it's about monthly until the next full detail in 6 months. The 60 days would probably work, but if it is going to lose the look at 60 days, I would want to reapply at 50 days. :snack[1]:

I like that fresh waxed look and I once read, "If you like to have that fresh waxed look, then go wax your car". I'm not quite that bad, but close. :snack[1]:

If you like "that fresh waxed look," you should boost 3 initial Os layers (12-24 hours apart) with OCW weekly. I promise you will love the look.
I do very nearly just that, but with a different spray wax.

Based on what I read in a procedure by another detailer, I use the spray wax after my first pass with a MF towel when doing a rinseless wash. The finish/drying wipe is with the spray wax and the resulting wash & wax definitely looks good.

Based on information from that same person, I also use a spray wax to remove Pol-Seal residue after a polishing session. That works good, too.

I do very nearly just that, but with a different spray wax.

Based on what I read in a procedure by another detailer, I use the spray wax after my first pass with a MF towel when doing a rinseless wash. The finish/drying wipe is with the spray wax and the resulting wash & wax definitely looks good.

Based on information from that same person, I also use a spray wax to remove Pol-Seal residue after a polishing session. That works good, too.

Just as a tip because you may be perfectly happy with what you are using, Optimum products are designed to be synergistic with one another. In other words they compliment one another each making the other that much better as many of them have similar or some of the same ingrediants. Down the road you may want to try a bottle of OCW just to compare. FYI OCW contains carnauba wax, sealant polymers which help replace and keep fresh other Optimum polymers you have already used such as OS, and UV protection.

Just as a tip because you may be perfectly happy with what you are using, Optimum products are designed to be synergistic with one another. In other words they compliment one another each making the other that much better as many of them have similar or some of the same ingrediants. Down the road you may want to try a bottle of OCW just to compare. FYI OCW contains carnauba wax, sealant polymers which help replace and keep fresh other Optimum polymers you have already used such as OS, and UV protection.

While it isn't a big deal to me and I happen to do a lot of mix & match of products, I do think staying within one product line can be of some benefit.

My experience with Optimum products has been good, but has been limited to Poli-Seal, Opti-Seal, and ONR.

Fortunately for me, my experience with Meguiars, Mothers, Klasse, Detailer's Pride, Dura Gloss, Poorboy's, S100, Collinite, Zaino has also been good. And that's just a sampling of all the different ones I have used over the years. :beerchug[1]:

I have had products that didn't do quite what I wanted/expected, but I don't think I have used a truly bad product.

• 5 months later...

In the past 2 weeks, to test these products, I have completed:

SUNDAY 4/5

Clay + Rotary polishing

Poli-Seal x1

Opti-Seal x2

OCW x2

SATURDAY 4/11

ONR x1

OCW x1

No negative effects, but also no more gains. Here is my Optimum test bed:

quarter2.jpg