Are IPA wipedowns necessary or desirable?

akimel

Dr G,

Over at another forum, it has been strongly advised that if one is using ONR, or any quick detailer for that matter, that one should do an IPA wipedown before doing any polishing or paint correction. The reason advanced is that silicones, fluoropolymers, etc., and even wax may well interfere with and inhibit effective polishing. Thus one experienced detailer writes: "A micro thin layer of wax/silicone will most definitely affect a polish/compound's ability to remove defects. I have experienced this many, many, many times first hand." Others disagree.

Is this true? I am fairly new to all this and do not have the knowledge and expertise to adjudicate this dispute. What is your view on this question.

TIA.

Al

Dr G,

Over at another forum, it has been strongly advised that if one is using ONR, or any quick detailer for that matter, that one should do an IPA wipedown before doing any polishing or paint correction. The reason advanced is that silicones, fluoropolymers, etc., and even wax may well interfere with and inhibit effective polishing. Thus one experienced detailer writes: "A micro thin layer of wax/silicone will most definitely affect a polish/compound's ability to remove defects. I have experienced this many, many, many times first hand." Others disagree.

Is this true? I am fairly new to all this and do not have the knowledge and expertise to adjudicate this dispute. What is your view on this question.

TIA.

Al

Al,

Thank you for your question. As Yvan stated, there is no need to do a wipe down before using Optimum polish or compounds. These products are designed to remove any wax or sealant that might exist on the surface.

David,

Archived