Optimum Finish on DA?

switerajaya

Are there anybody using optimum finish on DA? If so please chime in along with what pad, speed setting, and technique? I usually use OPT Finish (+ finishing pad running 600 to 1100 rpms) on rotary, but wondering whether using it on DA (i don't have a DA currently, but i'll if it's necessary to) could yield a similar result if not better.

TIA

• 3 weeks later...

Are there anybody using optimum finish on DA? If so please chime in along with what pad, speed setting, and technique? I usually use OPT Finish (+ finishing pad running 600 to 1100 rpms) on rotary, but wondering whether using it on DA (i don't have a DA currently, but i'll if it's necessary to) could yield a similar result if not better.

TIA

How is it finishing down on your rotary? That's what I've been using for about 12 years, and have never had a da, although a friend is letting me borrow his PC for a week and so far I'm liking how its speeding up my overall time on corrections.

How is it finishing down on your rotary? That's what I've been using for about 12 years, and have never had a da, although a friend is letting me borrow his PC for a week and so far I'm liking how its speeding up my overall time on corrections.

It finishes nice on most japanese cars using rotary. On some it's finishes nicer (better noticeable clarity) and some other, i really need to do 50:50 to spot its differences in result (but i does finish nicer). And i've got G110V2 atm, it's so unbelievable how easy DA can be used compared to rotary. And i think DA leaves finish that's on par with the rotary too (still working to get my DA skill right).

• 2 weeks later...

I recently tried Opt Finish with a Meguiar's G110. I have mixed emotions about the experience. On the plus side the polish produces a stunning gloss. The negative is pigtails appeared on some panels. The technique I eventually had success with: 1) Prime the pad with just the finish polish. Since polish is tinted blue it is easy to see where the polish needs to be to completely prime. Also use a soft pad. I like the Edge 2000 white pads. 2) Place 3 or 4 small dabs of polish on the primed pad. 3) Set the buffer to 6. Anything less seems to cause the pigtails. 4) Apply moderate pressure and buff till the surface looks glossy. I buffed for what seemed like 2 to 3 minutes per section to get the results I was after. I'm still not completely sure what causes the pigtails but the above seems to have reduced the problem for me. Since this is the first time I've used a finish polish of any brand I can't say whether this is an issue with my paint or the polish. For the record the pads were brand new.

Pigtails are from dirt in the pad or picked up off the paint. No rinse before you start a panel and use a pad brush or damp MF after every panel to clean on the fly. I also use EDGE pads and the white is a good choice.

Certainly dirt is always a factor and, I welcome the advice. I just find it a bit strange that I don't run in to this problem when I use another polish of brand X even though the pads tend to get a bit caked with the stuff. Granted brand X is not a finish polish and doesn't leave as nice a gloss on the paint.

It finishes nice on most japanese cars using rotary. On some it's finishes nicer (better noticeable clarity) and some other, i really need to do 50:50 to spot its differences in result (but i does finish nicer). And i've got G110V2 atm, it's so unbelievable how easy DA can be used compared to rotary. And i think DA leaves finish that's on par with the rotary too (still working to get my DA skill right).

Switerajaya thanks for the info :) And yea I just used a few different d/a's for about a week straight with different techniques/pads/products and that made me purchase a griots. Same size orbit as the flex and doesn't bog down on curved surfaces like the porter cable, although the pc only bogged down on curved surfaces with 7inch pads but I still didn't like that fact.

Some testing with d/a's on severe oxidation.

DSC03013.jpg

DSC03010.jpg

So as I found out d/a's are pretty capable machines.

Switerajaya thanks for the info :) And yea I just used a few different d/a's for about a week straight with different techniques/pads/products and that made me purchase a griots. Same size orbit as the flex and doesn't bog down on curved surfaces like the porter cable, although the pc only bogged down on curved surfaces with 7inch pads but I still didn't like that fact.

Some testing with d/a's on severe oxidation.

DSC03013.jpg

DSC03010.jpg

So as I found out d/a's are pretty capable machines.

Priceless & stunning 50:50 picture. This kind of pictures always make me realize my detailing disorder more. :thumbsupup[1]::rock[1]:

It took 12 hours to correct the whole chevy avalanche, this was all done with a pc with meguiars cutting pad and mezerna power gloss followed up with Meg's 205, I have the full write up on autogeek under "the power of the pc" I didn't do a full write up on this forum because I don't have any opt correcting compounds or polishes "yet"!! I can't wait to try hyper compound! I've seen it used with great results and it finished down really nice!

Archived