Using OPC in combination with rinseless washing...

Steampunk

Hello,

I have been a fan of Optimum Polymer Technologies products for a little over a year, and have been gradually increasing my use of rinseless (ONR) and waterless (Opti-Clean) wash techniques to minimize my environmental footprint, though I have run into a bit of a problem when using these products on vehicles that I am detailing for the first time. Wheels, tyres, wheel arches, sills, jambs, engine bays, and trims all need washed down with dedicated cleaners to remove brake dust, oil, wax, and old dressings in preparation for new products. This wasn't an issue for me in the past when using a normal 2BM wash technique, as I had a hosepipe handy to rinse away the residues from my wheel cleaners and APC's (P21S Wheel Cleaner Gel and Total Auto Wash). Now that I'm mostly doing rinseless washes, however, I simply don't have the volume of water required to wash away these products without leaving behind a residue. The remaining detergents simply mix in with the ONR, and remains on the paint when I go to dry it, just like the ONR polymers do. This means that even when I'm doing an ONR wash to prep a vehicle, I still have to drag out the hose to undertake the 'Intensive Cleaning' stage, which largely negates the convenience and eco-friendliness of doing a rinseless wash in the first place.

I have recently picked up a bottle of Optimum Power Clean to try out, and I wanted to know if this product required as much water as normal APC's to remove, and if it will play well if used if used in combination with rinseless or waterless washing techniques? Also, what is the pH level of Power Clean? I detail a lot of classic cars, and I cannot use products that are not completely safe to use on even the most delicate of vintage surfaces (Old nitrocellulose lacquers, acrylic enamels, bakelite, bare aluminum and brass, 35+ year old textiles and vinyl, natural fibers, zinc and chrome plating, etc.). This is the reason why I have always favored mild limonene based cleaners in the past. If I can use OPC for intensive cleaning of these materials, especially in combination with less water to minimize the occurence of water ingress and potential corrosion on somewhat 'Porous' vehicles, it would be massively advantageous.

Thank you very much for your assistance!

Steampunk

Powerclean has a ph of 11, and used full strength in my experience will need to be rinsed to remove the residue. For delicate interior cleaning dilute 1:10 with distilled water for a near residue free cleaning. As far as vintage paint I've only used power clean on single stage lacquer at 1:4 with no ill effects.

Thank you both! It seems like using OPC in combination with ONR will just require an adjustment to my wash technique.... Currently I am using an ONR QD Pre-Soak, followed by a 1BM ONR Wash with several plush (660 GCM) microfiber towles as a wash media; I found I preffered this method to treating it like a normal 2BM wash. I assume you're using an Opti-Mitt w/2BM and grit guards? I mostly just plan on using Power Clean for engine bays, tires, trims, wheel wells, etc, so using a different wash media (To avoid cross-contamination.) and a rinse bucket for this stage of my wash wouldn't be a problem. What dilutions would you use for Power Clean when cleaning the items I mentioned? Is it necessary to use it neat (As many seem to do.), or is the 3:1 dilution recommended on the bottle (Old formula; I know it's 5:1 for the latest version.) still strong enough to cope with rigorous cleaning? Thank you very much for your time...

Steampunk

Archived