Dust... How dust free should the environment be?

BMRu4ia

Greetings,

When applying the OC, how dust/pollen free should my surroundings be? Do I have to be in a totally closed room/garage? I live in a condo with underground parking. It stays pretty calm, but what would happen is a light breeze with lint or pollen blew by while curing?

How about during the curing period? Should I be concern about dust or pollen for the first 12 to 24 hours after applying and buffing? Can the Car be driving at all during the first 24 hours or so?

As far as driving I'd leave it for atleast an hour. I've driven just a few minutes after application, and you should've seen when I washed the car, you could see right where air hits the surface, looked like I was doing wind tunnel testing. Although not visible with lighting the way it sheeted water was affected. So needless to say I have my customers wait now before being able to drive to be safe. As far as pollen I haven't noticed any ill effect, as I apply in a garage, then once done pull it out into the light just to make sure I didnt miss any high spots.

So the product seems pretty forgiving with regards to the elements and surrounds when applying and curing. And the only thing to really worry about is high spots? So it can be applied in a highly shades area even with a slight breeze or even in an open type garage or carport?

I am only on my 3rd usage of the product ( so I am by no means an expert in any form of the word ), but I did my truck cap yesterday in the garage with both doors open.

it was ~ 88* F and I would guess the wind would guest from 1 to 6 mph at times.

It did flash quick in those temps, only needed the air gun a few times and it was from a high spot that I had to knock down.

Just keep an eye on how much you use on the applicator, and you should be fine. I got done with correcting the surface and IPA'd the whole cap to check for any defects I missed. When I did a section I wiped it off w/ a velvet type MF towel and then applied OC.

Thanks guys I appreciate all the input. I guess once I start and get my feet wet, It will all come together and all my questions & answers will all make more sense.

I just afraid to mess up. I'l be applying it to my 2013 X3 I have on order. I'll also install 3M paint protection film over the OC on the front bumper and partial hood.

Thanks guys I appreciate all the input. I guess once I start and get my feet wet, It will all come together and all my questions & answers will all make more sense.

I just afraid to mess up. I'l be applying it to my 2013 X3 I have on order. I'll also install 3M paint protection film over the OC on the front bumper and partial hood.

If you have not seen it yet, Anthony has a good video on the application methods he uses.

I watched this a few times before I went after the roof on the cab of my truck.

Figure if I really messed up, Hyper polish / compound and a set of Opti MF pads would take care of it. :thumbsupup[1]:

If you have applied Optiseal, it is not much different in terms of application, to me.

Too thick on Optiseal and you get streaking.

I had done a few vehicles with Optiseal prior to going after OC on my truck. Now that I have done a few sections, I find it is really easy to apply, and do not have an issue applying it to a vehicle I do not own.

Archived