User Error, Re-application: OC 2.0

Dellinger

Greetings everyone,

As the title states, I have misapplied O.C. 2.0. First time with product and really was easy to apply, I believe I was just a bit nervous and over zealous with the application regarding some methods... Not blaming the product one bit and take full ownership of my faults with my first time out with an Optimum Coating.

Basically it boils down to some error(s) on my part, due to:

A.) Improper prep

B.) not using enough product

C.) wiping too much, too soon

D.) All of the above ...heavily leaning to this choice, personally

My prep was after a 2-step process was:

-Megs. 114 (Rinse Free Express Wash)

-20% IPA wipe down, once

Product was applied to a '04 Ram 2500, 4 door. I used HD Cut & M205 for the compound and polishing steps. After prep for the coating and application, I let the truck sit, unused in my heated shop for approximately 18 hours. The truck is my In-laws, so I don't have to worry about someone "being upset." However, I want to correct the misapplication with a second, new application and will do so next week.

How do I know the coating is 'not there' or 'misapplied'? I don't. However, I invited my father-in-law to bring the truck back to my shop for me to wash and inspect the coating. Two weeks had lapsed and thought it would be a good time to wash and see how the coating was performing.

I noticed the following after the truck was pressure washed and then washed with a 2 bucket method.

1. The water sheeted from vertical panels but appeared to sheet as if nothing was there. Very flat, linear 'waves'. On horizontal panels, the same was noted. Beading was poor, unevenly spaced, large blobs with little regularity to their appearance. The results seemed very different from 'proper application' pictures shown online (read- tight beading, round spherical droplets, fast sheeting, etc...)

2.) I took a spray bottle and sprayed both vertical and horizontal panels. I noticed the 'spray' would then be drawn to one spot and drain off vertical panels... on horizontal panels, they would form large, irregular blobs of water. This did tell me the coating was there but I was not 100% happy with the results and knew it had to be some fault of my own.

Feel free to comment on any of the above if you have read this far... I am now going to address the 'new' application and pose some questions. For background, I have a fellow, Opti Coat certified installer and very respected detailer whom I consider a mentor, very near to me regarding location, who I have addressed this scenario with. He spoke to my faults of wiping too much, too quickly (I noticed quite a few high spots upon initial application and was a bit 'trigger happy' with the wiping. I proceeded to wipe these high spots within 1-2 minutes of application). He also said to wash with Dawn and a heavy IPA concentration to rid the surface of M205 remnants. I'm not questioning his feedback, I am just stating it because that will be how I prep the next application. I don't have Hyper Polish nor a dedicated surface cleaner... such as Eraser.

So, to the 'new' application...

I have read, here, that a light polishing of the 'old' layer of O.C. 2.0 is all that is needed (plus re-prep) to ready the surface for a new application. I am going to go forward with a white polishing pad and HD Polish, as I have not yet purchased Hyper Polish.

So.... 'light polishing' is...? Two section passes with a traditional D/A type machine on 4.5? Better put... how should I work a polish, in this situation, to best "scuff" or prepare the surface for proper adhesion? Note: 'Old' layer is going on 3-4 weeks old.

Sorry for the small essay but I appreciate the feedback.

Best regards,

-Dellinger

If you can get a hold of some Hyper polish before re-application that would help you a lot. Hyper polish is designed to work with OC 2.0. Lightly polish(just enough to level teh surface), and dry wipe, or ONR(regular, not ONRWW) the residue off, then apply your OC. For a truck that size 15ml of OC should be considered minimum. Allow it to flash longer before wiping off.

Yvan,

Many thanks for your recommendations. You are hard at it, even on Thanksgiving! Impressive.

Interesting on the 15 ml amount to apply... I probably used between 5- 7 ml on the initial application. Obviously way too little.

I'll try to pick up some HP.

Best regards,

-Dellinger

If you can get a hold of some Hyper polish before re-application that would help you a lot. Hyper polish is designed to work with OC 2.0. Lightly polish(just enough to level teh surface), and dry wipe, or ONR(regular, not ONRWW) the residue off, then apply your OC. For a truck that size 15ml of OC should be considered minimum. Allow it to flash longer before wiping off.

wow 15 ml? I've never used more than 10...i don't even know where i could put another 5ml...i even do the windows with 10ml (no wheels)

Archived