Opti-Coat over freshly Polished Aluminum Alloy Wheels

Chris Bauman

I have been experimenting with polishing Aluminum Alloy Wheels in advance of my Summer Project to refinish a set of rime I used for Winter Tires. The clear coat of paint doesn't seem to shine enough and there is the risk of discoloration and peeling. Opti-Coat would seem to be the perfect solution as I have used it on painted rims with great results. Will the Opti-Coat stick and shine like it does on paint?

The key to having OC work on aluminum is to properly prep the surface, many polishes used to polish aluminum contain lots of oil. When we coat aluminium we first polish it with Optimum Metal Polish, next we wipe it down with IPA to remove th polishing oils, and finaly we repolish lightly with Hyper polish, or Primer polish for OCP. We remove the polish residue with ONR, and apply the coating.

• 1 month later...

I am getting ready to do 4 R90 BBS wheels from my Mini and I have some oxidation on the lips, but there is some small amount of oxidation on the barrels as well. I am going to strip,and sand down the barrels and then coat them. The lips will receive the same treatment with the exception I plan to polish up to a chrome like finish. So my choices were to CC or Opti-Coat and I am leaning towards Opti-Coat.

I plan to use ONR and IPA as I don' have Hyper or Primer.

I am going to polish up the bolts with a wire wheel and use OC there too.

I hope multiply applications is going to do it.

How long do I wait before applying another layer of OC

If there is any other tips to make this a success I am all ears, as I only want to do this once.

Thanks

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived