New guy here...looking to start a detailing side business

LivingDeadS2K

Hey there,

I happened to find this site on S2Ki.com and was impressed by the google videos and products. I live in Nassau County Long Island, NY, and I currently work in NYC. I am looking to start my own side business in detailing cars and motorcycles. I have always enjoyed washing cars and giving cars a very close attention to detail in cleaning and maintenance. But I would be starting this side business from the ground up, the very bottom of the detailing business knowledge tree, if you will. The good thing is, I will be coming into it with motivation and potential. I have a few questions on how to get started. I apologize if these questions should go into a different topic area.

1-Should I go and look for a part-time job at a local detailing shop to learn the ropes for a while, not only about detailing, but in how the business works in general?...this is ultimately what I want to quit my day job to get into.

2-I saw alot of products and distributors online who have everything from products to training videos and courses. What is the best way to really fortify my knowledge, and learn how to do it the 'right way'?

3-Of these distributors online, I found one place that sells a whole starter kit including all Meguiars products, including the buffing machine, all detailing chemicals and a nice black Meguiars carrying toolbag :thumbsupup[1]: all for around $700. What do you think about this package to get started with? Meguiars is pretty good stuff right?

Thanks for any input you guys can give. I really want to start soon, even though the cold weather is coming. I really like the No Rinse for that reason. I am going to dedicate my garage at home to be a detail center and mainly detail cars and bikes in there, and hopefully build a substantial business out of it.

Talk soon,

CA

I would seriously look into training at training from this place Training

Kevin is the owner and can teach you more in a few days than you could learn from a detail shop. You will learn about paint and technology how to repair scratches and operate the rotary buffer. I think he has packages to get you started.

His place is in NJ and should be close to you. His classes are small and very hands on.

To start off this could be the best any one here could give you.

The next would be to have a business plan and take some business classes at your local CC.

Thanks alot Ron, I am def gonna check out Kleen. I think for around $1000, I can get started with a side business..including training and equipment, products, etc. I also have a 00 S2000, which I'm going to use as my detail 'mascot' to show customers. I was thinking of having a free pickup service, where I would leave my car in front of their house with some sort of decal saying, "I'm having my car detailed by (name to come), phone #, blah, blah." And I would take their car back to my house and detail it there. OR, detail it at their house or job. I have a bunch of marketing ideas and I am a graphic designer by day, so i want to have a really nice corporate identity package. But those business classes sound like a great idea as well. Thanks again, and I hope to learn alot here.

What's up BSponge!

Take care,

Christian

Hello and Welcome Christian,

Ron gave you sound advice about Kevin's training course, I also would highly recommend you taking that as Kevin is an expert in detailing.

The other things you will want to consider are how much do you need to make per hour so that your business is profitable? Insurance needs, especially if you're driving clients cars?

Also DO NOT get swept up in the "boutique" car products as they will just cause you to waste money. There is no reason why you need to buy Swisswax or Zymol when an 8oz tub of Pizazz wax will do just fine for $16.00. Stick with one brand if possible and don't think you need to try every wax, polish or cleaner that comes down the pike. Leave that for the detailing forum junkies, let them spend their money and waste their time. Find products that are multi-tasking, like Optimum No Rinse where it can be used as a wash, a QD and also as a clay lube.

If you have other questions or concerns about the business side post those up in the Detailing Business section.

Take care,

Anthony

Thanks Anthony, for the tips and I am def. gonna check out that class. I have a good paying day job, but I love taking care of cars and thought it would be good side money. And once I become more experienced, I would make it a full time gig.

I'll be posting more of these things in the business section.

Hi and thanks Bill W.

LATA

CA

Archived