Question on OPS grit

bjgross

I like the reviews I have read about PoliSeal, but was wondering where it falls on the grit scale. Actually, it would be good to have a comparison chart for all of the Optimum polishes, like Menzerna provides.

Can anyone provide information on where Optimum polishes fall on the grit scale?

menzerna.jpg

Guest Driven Auto Detail

From what I've seen Anthony say, PS has about HALF the cut of OP.

I think the reason a chart is so helpful with the Menzerna polishes is that they have so many different polishes. Their line-up is very confusing. With Optimum, it's pretty simple really.

Plus, Optimum polishes, in particular OP & PS, are pad dependent. OP, for example, can be used as a finishing polish or can be used with wool for a lot of cut. Where Menzerna has a different polish for every single situation, Optimum has few polishes that can be made to work in any situation based on the pad that is being used. This is just another reason why I really like Optimum.

Yeah what he said :)

I like the last line there on that chart where it reads:

"The Super Intensive Polish stock number PO85RD3.02 has been renamed to PO83Q for SIMPLICITY"

They are some nice polishes that do their job but they can be rather confusing, but not as bad as the Meguiars line of products. That will get your head spinning :thumbsupup[1]:

Anthony

You're right Anthony, the names of their polishes seem a bit ridiculous. Perhaps all those letters and numbers mean something to the Menz folks, but to average customers they just make it harder to remember.

I still would like to know where the Optimum polishes fall in the grit spectrum. It's like buying a shirt with S, M, L sizes or buying a shirt with dimensional sizing (ie, 15 x 33). You have a much better idea if the shirt will fit with the exact sizing.

I don't know if my analogy works here, but the point is more information always leads to better decisions. So how about it, does anyone know grit sizes for Optimum polishes?

Yes, of course...

...but a 12000 finishing polish must be incredibly gentle, when a 9800 is already very fine! It is always difficult to interpret/translate a Japanese approach correctly and I'm not familiar with any of the mentioned polishes, but even dedicated finishing polishes such as Menz 85RD or Scholl S40 can remove 5000 grit sanding marks. The 0.5 micron grit tells me that it must be a very fine liquid indeed, because even the original Carlack/Klasse AIO contained a 1 micron abrasive package.

Stronger corrective finishing polishes like 106FF/FA or Scholl S30+ can do quite significant defect removal. Even functional, corrective glazes like FK 303 can make the finish better by its surprising mechanical bite. Of course, a lot depends on the pad material and speeds too.

Archived