Polish?

sal329

I just picked up a PC 7424, will be my first time using a machine. I was looking at all sorts of polishes and Optimum Polish look slike a winner. I was told that it is pretty bad performance with a PC and rotary would be needed is this true?

Guest Driven Auto Detail

Yes, OP has a long work time when used with the PC. While I don't think a rotary is NEEDED to effectively use OP (I use OP with my Flex), I would probably use a more PC-friendly polish. The Menzerna line is very good.

OP can work with an PC but because of the way OP is formulated it will need a much longer working time than many other polishes. This also will vary depending on your pad choice. Some tips if you choose to use OP would be to use less than most polishes. So if the average short working polish uses a quarter size amount of product to work a fender than OP will use about a nickel size amount to do the same work area.

Also don't expect to work OP until it breaks down and begins to dry up because you'll be there all night waiting for that to happen. Work the OP for several minutes, wipe an area down and check your work. If it needs more then continue on for another several minutes and check your work.

If you like it you can then judge about how long each area will take you and continue.

Hope that helps,

Anthony

Guest Driven Auto Detail

PS would be great after OP. Like the other Optimum polishes, less is more with PS. You'll notice that PS disappears into the paint very quickly. Don't let this fool you. It's still there. As long as your pad is gliding (not grabbing) the surface, PS is working. You'll have virtually nothing to buff off when you're done working it into the paint.

No need to use a glaze, in fact I advise against it, it might affect the way OS bonds to a glaze !

Just use OP with either a DA or rotary and seal with OS and monthly coats of OCW

I have used OP with both rotary and DA and both work very well.

OP can work with an PC but because of the way OP is formulated it will need a much longer working time than many other polishes. This also will vary depending on your pad choice. Some tips if you choose to use OP would be to use less than most polishes. So if the average short working polish uses a quarter size amount of product to work a fender than OP will use about a nickel size amount to do the same work area.

Also don't expect to work OP until it breaks down and begins to dry up because you'll be there all night waiting for that to happen. Work the OP for several minutes, wipe an area down and check your work. If it needs more then continue on for another several minutes and check your work.

If you like it you can then judge about how long each area will take you and continue.

Hope that helps,

Anthony

If after checking your work you find that you need to continue, do you apply more OP to the pad or do you continue to polish with whatever OP is on your pad originally?

Archived