Thickening of Poli-Seal

CharlesW

Some time back I was concerned that my 32 oz. bottle of Poli-Seal was much thicker than it was when I first started using it.

I contacted Optimum about adding some water to reduce the viscosity and David Ghodoussi didn't recommend doing that. He did offer to replace the product if I was unhappy with it. I wasn't that unhappy so I declined the most generous offer.

Now, to the point of the post.

After a little more conversation with David Ghodoussi at Optimum, a new solution was suggested.

When he found out I also had Opti-Seal, he suggested adding a small, (1 oz. per 32 oz.), amount of Opti-Seal to the Poli-Seal.

I did, it worked great.

He also mentioned that the small amount of Opti-Seal added would give some added durability to the Poli-Seal.

Good to know, but I follow the Poli-Seal with an LSP, (usually Opti-Seal), anyway so durability isn't a real big issue.

As an aside, it is so easy to use the Poli-Seal followed by Opti-Seal that I almost feel like I'm cheating. :nasty[1]:

Some time back I was concerned that my 32 oz. bottle of Poli-Seal was much thicker than it was when I first started using it.

I contacted Optimum about adding some water to reduce the viscosity and David Ghodoussi didn't recommend doing that. He did offer to replace the product if I was unhappy with it. I wasn't that unhappy so I declined the most generous offer.

Now, to the point of the post.

After a little more conversation with David Ghodoussi at Optimum, a new solution was suggested.

When he found out I also had Opti-Seal, he suggested adding a small, (1 oz. per 32 oz.), amount of Opti-Seal to the Poli-Seal.

I did, it worked great.

He also mentioned that the small amount of Opti-Seal added would give some added durability to the Poli-Seal.

Good to know, but I follow the Poli-Seal with an LSP, (usually Opti-Seal), anyway so durability isn't a real big issue.

As an aside, it is so easy to use the Poli-Seal followed by Opti-Seal that I almost feel like I'm cheating. :tongue4[1]:

That's great to know that Doctor G. helped you out in that manner. The PS is thicker normally than some of the other Optimum polishes/compounds so I have to many times shake the bottle very well for several minutes especially if it's a bottle that has been sitting for some time.

The main design of PS was to help out pros and allow them a versatile one-step product. Nice to see it working in such a manner.

Anthony

• 1 year later...

Good to know, I almost always add Opti to Poli-Seal.

I actually make different "mixes" when I polish. I use a 4oz flip top bottle from US Plastics for each mix I make to keep them fresh.

A great Optimum based 1 step mix I regularly use is:

Poli-Seal - base, 3oz.

Optimum Compound - to add some cut, .5oz (I've used M105 here also)

Opti-Seal - to add sealant, 4 squirts

QID - for consistency

Shake well.

• 5 months later...
Charles,

I think I'm experiencing the same thing. My PoliSeal is REALLY thick. I don't know what the original consistency was like though, never got around to using it (yet)

As I remember it, the Poli-Seal was originally a fairly thick consistency. Similar to Meguiar's M80 or thick whipping cream.

While it did seem to become thicker over a period of time, it was never anywhere near as thick as the product you showed in your pictures.

The addition of some Opti-Seal did allow me to use the Poli-Seal with no problem.

FWIW, the product you show would appear to be past the usable stage. The replacement was probably the way to take care of the problem.

It is too good of a product to not be used in its intended formulation.

Archived