Optimum Car Wash

I got a sample of the car wash in trade so no directions were on the sample. I checked the web site and it says 1 oz (or less) per gallon.

I mixed up a bucket using 3 oz in 3 gallons and it seemed to have plenty of suds (not a real suds fan) and decent lubricity. It had a nice berry (?) scent. It seemed to clean fine and rinse/dry nicely which is really what I look for in a soap.

I have soft water (whole house water softener) so I am wondering how much less than I can use to make it more cost effective. Can I get down to 1/2 oz per gallon?

Guest Driven Auto Detail

I would just play around with it. I'd just keep dialing it back with each wash until you are happy with how it performs.

And just to note, I think Dr. G changed the fragrance recently. The newest gallon that I'm using has a different scent. I think the old scent was coconut or something.

Obviously with the soft water you're going to get a lot of suds because the 1ounce to 1 gallon is for regular tap water use.

As Driven said, just dial it in for your specific needs, it's a great car shampoo.

I can judge less amounts by cleaning ability but I am just worried about the minimum needed for lubricity. I had some bad experiences with a foam gun where I ended up marring some paint that I attribute too little lubricty.

If someone has experience say at 1/2 ounce per gallon that would at least give me some confidence that I am not wasting my time and risking. I will probably try about 2 1/4 oz (about 25% less soap). yeah....I measure the water and soap precisely when it may not practically matter.

I can judge less amounts by cleaning ability but I am just worried about the minimum needed for lubricity. I had some bad experiences with a foam gun where I ended up marring some paint that I attribute too little lubricty.

If someone has experience say at 1/2 ounce per gallon that would at least give me some confidence that I am not wasting my time and risking. I will probably try about 2 1/4 oz (about 25% less soap). yeah....I measure the water and soap precisely when it may not practically matter.

I did another car last night using 3/4 oz per gallon and it did fine. I did not see much difference in suds and the wool mitt slid across the paint with about the same. My current soap (it is a well liked non-OTC product) makes my fingers tinkle a little (do not use nitrile gloves) and my hands felt better (less dried out).

Does Optimum have a little ONR in it? I added some (like 1/4 oz) to my fav soap and it did make a difference in suds (less) and I got the film that you get in the bucket with ONR.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived