What are we polishing?

james

This may be a simple question but do we get to a point of "That's as shinny as it's going to get?" First the car is painted, then the clear coat is applied. If we never were down past the clear coat,other than swirls and such, by polishing and waxing aren't we essentially just trying to produce the most shine or reflection and protection on top of the clear coat and really never touching the "Paint"? Having said that I tried two different brands of polish, sealant and then a coat of wax on a small area to compare. I then took the car out in the sunlight and frankly couldn't see any difference in the two areas. Which brings me to my question of do we reach a point where the car is as shinny and protected as it's going to get no matter how many coats of stuff is put on it? This would probably stand out more one way or the other on a dark color than a lighter one? In addition to that the rest of the car has always gotten a coat of Optimum spray wax after being washed and it's just as shinny as my test areas.

Dailey drivers are going to see all sorts of stuff so don't expect it to stay show car ready...and so on. There are also levels of awareness. I have had many customers unable to even see the defects I am showing them. And as crazy as it sounds, some are ok with swirls as long as you have shiney tires.

;) Funny! Sad but true.

As a daily driver myself its near IMPOSSIBLE to have a show room condition everyday. Wear and tear. crying[1].gif

Archived