Best way to maintain Opti Coat

new55

I thought I read on one of the other forums (but can't find it) that using Poli Seal once a year to gently buff out minor swirls and/or just bring back some extra shine is something that could be done on OC.

Is this the case or am I remembering incorrectly? If it can/should be done, can it be done by hand?

Is there anything else recommended to clean/maintain OC? Or just a good car soap (Optimum or otherwise) and possibly Optimum Car Wax (with the understanding that it won't last long)?

Finally, is there anything that shouldn't be used on top of OC?

Thanks as always!

I thought I read on one of the other forums (but can't find it) that using Poli Seal once a year to gently buff out minor swirls and/or just bring back some extra shine is something that could be done on OC.

Is this the case or am I remembering incorrectly? If it can/should be done, can it be done by hand?

Is there anything else recommended to clean/maintain OC? Or just a good car soap (Optimum or otherwise) and possibly Optimum Car Wax (with the understanding that it won't last long)?

Thanks as always!

Let me bump this...

Also, would a QD + MF be enough to remove dust from an OC coated finish? Thanks!

Thanks as always!

1. Poly seal can be used to clean the coating if it needs it and can be done by hand or machine just use a finishing pad.

2. Just a good car wash is all you should need, if your looking to add temporary slickness you can use whatever wax, just bare in mind you will lose the attributes that make oc great temporarily while the wax is on top of the coating.

3. I wouldn't use harsh acid's on top of oc, but other then that you can use chemical bug removers and I haven't seen any problems with it removing oc.

• 1 year later...

Resurrecting an old thread here:

Can Hyper Polish be used to remove swirling from Opti Coat 2.0? I'm thinking using nothing more aggressive than a LC CCS White Pad. Or would Poli Seal on a more aggressive pad (like a hydro tangerine) be more appropriate?

Thanks very much.

• 3 weeks later...

would any finishing polish (say Scholl S40 or M205) or any mild abrasive paint cleaner (like Sonus Paint Cleaner or P21S paint cleaner) on a LC HT Crimson pad on rotary be okay to level the swirls?

and i guess it makes no difference whether its an open cell or closed foam correct?

would any finishing polish (say Scholl S40 or M205) or any mild abrasive paint cleaner (like Sonus Paint Cleaner or P21S paint cleaner) on a LC HT Crimson pad on rotary be okay to level the swirls?

and i guess it makes no difference whether its an open cell or closed foam correct?

205 on a rotary is going to polish off the coating with either type of pad.

Just the thread I was looking for when I joined !!
A while back I had my Abarth Opti-Coated (the pro "Guard" version) . It was applied soon after purchase and after a thorough clean/clay and light polish. I was very happy with the result.

On top of this I put a layer or two of wax for a bit of extra sparkle. I also use a wax based QD when I dry

The colour is the non-metallic light grey and I did not believe that it could ever look mirror-like. However recently I seen some other Abarths with same colour that look stunningly wet !!!!

What can I do to get a wetter look finish - especially one that is not too high maintenance ??

Should I use the OSW ?
or should I limit myself to to the OQD ?
or wax monthly and QD after weekly wash ??
or something else ?

Your thoughts - much appreciated

Cheers

Thanks for the reply

I will try those Optimum products. Could you please shed some light as to the longevity of these Optimum products on top of the OptiCoat

With regards to the claying - is it possible (I have quite a bit of clay that would be a great shame to to use)

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

I am surprised no one has mentioned this above, but ONR. I wash my daily driver at least twice a week(well actually my employees wash it) with ONR, the car has never been rinsed(yes this car is my test bed for the "no rinse" aspect of ONR) Every 6 months it gets clayed using optimum car wax as a clay lube. After 22 months here is what my paint looks like, the car has never seen a polish, pad, or pressure washer

onrlight.jpg

onrfl.jpg

Archived