Help: I want Ultimate Gloss and Shine

NewbieDetailer

Hi, Dr. G and Chris,

Last fall, I got a 2006 BMW with a unique color that I want to paint correct for minor scratches/some rock chips/a few minor dents. My goal is to make it pop like a show car in one of those hot rod magazines or professional photos.

I've been hesitant to do this because of my inexperience, but I've bought a bunch of Optimum products (ONR, Finish, Opti-Coat 2.0, Opti-Seal, Metal Finish, Instant Detailer and Gloss Enhancer). I also bought a PC 7424xp. Recently, though, I had to use the 7424 for the first time on another car and gained a lot of confidence with Finish.

Originally, I thought I wanted to Opti-Coat 2.0 the car with two layers after correction, in order to give the car maximum protection and more clear coat. However, after a lot of reading, I'm not sure this is what I should do to give the color its best look. Opti-Coat 2.0 feedback seems to point toward a duller, matte finish...one that I really don't want. It would also repel any waxes/sealants I put on top of the OC layer. But I want ultimate shine and slickness...

I'm now thinking of simply correcting with Finish/Dr. Color Chip/PDR and putting Opti-Seal then some sort of wax on the top of it. The problem with this Opti-Seal/wax approach is that I'm not sure I'm going to introduce more minor scratches/swirls with ONR hand washes over time.

I really need some advice! Dr. G or Chris, if you could chime in (along with anyone else who has advice), I'd really appreciate some feedback. I'm tired of the car looking the way it does, and I'm going to start correcting it one panel/section at a time. The color is just too beautiful to remain in this uncorrected condition.

Thanks in advance for your help,

The "pop" everyone is in search of, comes mostly from proper paint prep (clay - polish). The LSP - be it Opti Car Wax (OCW) Opti Seal or Opti Coat is just the icing on the cake, and all can benefit from an application of Optimum Instant Detailer (OID) after curing. I personally use the OS-OCW-OID combo on many of my details due in large that my customers have the need to "feel" their paint at delivery.

We can help you out, but first I'd like to know what the unique color is? Even a pic in the sun would be nice. I know I could better help you with this info :)

When you go to your medical Dr. with a problem you describe your condition and symptoms in order for him to diagnose your ailment. You just don't tell him you want to feel your best. Same here.

When you come to visit the good Dr.G, the Dr. of Shine-ology in this case, he needs to know/see this info to make a proper diagnosis. :spoton[1]: Just a little humor thrown in there, but a picture would be nice. :clap2[1]:

Also, welcome to the Optimum Forum. Don't worry, Chris or David will be able to help you out in your quest for that ultimate paint pop.

My main question (irregardless of what type of color the paint, as BMW probably uses the same process for their metallic paints), is whether or not Opti Coat 2.0 would detract from my ability to achieve ultimate gloss and shine.

Over the past couple of days, I've searched Google images for Opti Coat and found many cars that appeared to achieve the pop and gloss after detail and a final step of Opti Coat. When I first bought the Optimum products last fall, I consulted with Dr. G about layering Opti Coat but I never asked about the final look I would achieve: matte or glossy. Now, I've decided that from the photos I've seen and Opti Coat's inherent protection, I'm going to do a two-layer Opti Coat with a glossy topper like OID.

If I'm going down the wrong road with Opti Coat and the Google photos have deceived me, please let me know, Dr. G or Chris or anyone else. I'm not planning to post photos at this time.

My main question (irregardless of what type of color the paint, as BMW probably uses the same process for their metallic paints), is whether or not Opti Coat 2.0 would detract from my ability to achieve ultimate gloss and shine.

My question which you answered in this post basically asking for the color was to see if it was metallic paint or a solid color. When people say "pop" most of the time they are referring to a metallic paint but I wanted to be sure before assuming. Now that your asking about ultimate gloss and shine, thats different then metallic flake pop. Opti coat or opti guard gives great gloss and shine but slightly and I mean very slightly mutes the flake on a full show car, fully wet sanded paint job. I think this effect has to do with the slight darkening effect of the coating. This is only my opinion and not fact, so hopefully Chris or Dr.G.

• 2 months later...

Hi, Dr. G and Chris,

I'm getting closer to performing this on the metallic-colored BMW.

Do you have any more input on my original questions? I'm adding a couple more things to my process. I'm going to decontaminate with Wolf's Chemicals Decon Gel then Optimum Power Clean prior to going to Optimum Finish. I think that Finish is likely all that I'll need to get rid of minor swirls/scratches. If not, I was thinking of using some Micro Compound that I purchased and follow with Finish, if that's possible.

Thanks in advance!

Newbie,

You've talkes about the products you have but no mention of pads for your polisher.

I would recommend you start with an orange pad with the Hyper polish and then a white pad with the finishing polish.

Check you work with an LED flashlight 3' to 4 ' from the finish. To achieve the ultimate gloss you may need to spend a little more time with the finishing polish. Maybe a second pass with a black or finishing pad.

You could play around with it some. Thats the fun part.

Do two applications of the coating one right after another then wait 24 hrs before you apply any thing else. I recommend the Spray wax. Really you can apply any thing you want to achieve the look you want. The coating will not dull a good glossy finish.

What you see in magazines and pictures on line have been enhanced to some degree or another.

The key is to play around with it and enjoy yourself.

Ron,

Thanks for your feedback. I greatly value your experience with Optimum products. I have some blue finishing pads from Phil at Detailer's Domain since they are the only pads I could find that were labeled with PPI. The blue ones are 70 PPI. When I started looking into this process a year or so ago, Dr. G said that I should use 80 PPI, I believe, with Optimum Finish with the BMW paint. I knew I would need to do a little correction with the swirls, so I bought this 70 PPI.

Also, I made a mistake by calling the compound Micro Compound. It's Hyper Compound. I just don't have the Hyper Polish. I'm hoping that I can follow Hyper Polish with Finish. Before I compound, I'm going to try Finish by itself, just to be conservative.

Also, that you VERY MUCH for the input about the Opti-Coat. I know you are one of the experts. I had thought I was going to do one coat, then wait a few days or so, then put the other coat on. Now I'm going to wait for flash, check for overuse and buff if needed, then apply a second coat.

Thanks again, Ron.

Archived