Best Video/Writeup on Opti-Coat 2.0 application

soundwavefd

There is an overwhelming amount of writeups/tips/hints and videos about Opti-Coat 2.0 application. I saw the one done by Chris Thomas applying Opti-Coat to a red Viper. Is that the "Official" optimum video tutorial? Could someone recommend me a few more good videos/writeups?

Thanks,
Drew

Drew, the best video besides Chris's I can think of is don't over complicate an easy process. Make sure there's no film/oils on the surface and apply. You can't go wrong, don't stress yourself, you'll be a pro by your 2nd panel. You can work in small sections till you get it down, then do whole panels once you feel like you've gotten the hang of it :)

Thanks John. The only confusing part is if I should use a microfiber or not. I will be using a Carpro block & suede applicator to apply the Opti-Coat. I have heard to knock down the "High-spots" with the applicator and not a microfiber. But, in some of the videos a microfiber was used as a final wipe/buff to eliminate any excess Opti-Coat when the product had almost completely flashed? So, I guess the only part I am unclear about is if a microfiber should be used in the process or not.

• 2 weeks later...

Chris, I used Opti-Guard 2.0 for the first time today. I applied two coats about an hour apart. After applying to the surface I let some time pass and buffed the entire surface with a soft microfiber. I am worried I may have wiped too much and affected the coating? How would I know for sure? Should I look for it to bead a certain way?

Thanks,
Drew

Ok, I just added a third layer to make sure. I know its kinda a waste but I'm not too worried about overusing product. Two questions:

1. I waited an hour between the first two layers and about 18 hours between the second and third. Was it ok to wait that long to add another layer?

2. Chris, I heard you said that you lost some optical clarity when you coated a lambo hood at SEMA too many times. Was that after three coats or four? Hopefully I did not loose clarity by using three coats.

BTW car came out great and I used Opti-Glass as well. It was super simple!

You probably didn't need a third coat. Heck, if applied properly one coat is just fine. What I do is go very slowly and overlap sections slightly. Like the video Chris made suggested, use something to help you mark where you stopped. I use body lines personally, but it's all personal preference. Sometimes more is not always better.

Chris,

Do you think I lost some optical clarity by applying 3 coats or does that only happen with 4 or more? It seems pretty clear to me. I did get a few high spots with the 3rd coat. It seemed to dry faster but nothing that poliseal wont take care of I assume.

Also, the car was out today and got hit by some bird bombs after about 24 hours after Opti-Coat application. I removed with Poorboys Bird S#it remover and the bombs did not etch the opti-coat. Do I need to recoat those spots anyway? I know you had said to make sure to remove bird bombs as soon as possible within the first 4 weeks after application.

Thanks,
Drew

If you didn't have high spots, then 3 coats is fine. But, you wouldn't need to worry about wiping so much if you would use compressed air to aide flashing/drying...then a quick light buff before hitting the next section. Remember that you are wiping it on...not in.

Drew, there's a million variables on your question about clarity. It will boil down to this, if you look at the vehicle and it's clear, then your fine, if it's cloudy then you'll need to polish those areas.

As far as reapplying where you used the bird crap remover, on your next wash, check to make sure the beading in consistent in that area, that'll be the only way to tell if the coating was compromised.

Thanks John and Chris! I think it came out really clear so I'm in the clear lol!

Do you guys feel that Carpro Eraser is a good wipedown product prior to Opti-Coat application? I have heard it does leave an "Anti-static" coating that could interfere with bonding. I have also heard it may not be enough to clear the oils off the surface from a product like Meguiars 205 or other oil heavy polishes?

Archived