help for newbie

CGS

I have been reading your excellent forum (I was impressed how Anthony corrected the vandalism), but as a newbie would like to clarify a few things. I have two cars I'd like to do. The first is a blue '94 I just bought, with bc/cc. I believe a garage door came down on the trunk, leaving shallow to deep scratches I'd like to minimize, and correct the smaller scratches/swirls on the rest of the car. After washing, wet sand the scratches with 2000-good idea to go to 4000? Next, better to use compound or polish and do the whole car? Enough to finish with Poli-seal, or go to the wax? All this with a rotary and LC foam pads? I have a cheap random orbit if it's any use. Finally, will anything help the deep scratches, which have gone through the cc?

The second car is ss, yellow acrylic enamel, mild swirl marks only. What would be best to use?

Sorry for all the questions, there's so much information here I'm a bit overwhelmed. Any help much appreciated.

CGS

I have been reading your excellent forum (I was impressed how Anthony corrected the vandalism), but as a newbie would like to clarify a few things. I have two cars I'd like to do. The first is a blue '94 I just bought, with bc/cc. I believe a garage door came down on the trunk, leaving shallow to deep scratches I'd like to minimize, and correct the smaller scratches/swirls on the rest of the car. After washing, wet sand the scratches with 2000-good idea to go to 4000? Next, better to use compound or polish and do the whole car? Enough to finish with Poli-seal, or go to the wax? All this with a rotary and LC foam pads? I have a cheap random orbit if it's any use. Finally, will anything help the deep scratches, which have gone through the cc?

The second car is ss, yellow acrylic enamel, mild swirl marks only. What would be best to use?

Sorry for all the questions, there's so much information here I'm a bit overwhelmed. Any help much appreciated.

CGS

Hello and welcome :P

When wet sanding try and use a higher grit when possible unless you're really experienced at it. So 3000 grit may have been your better choice to start with and see how it looks and then if needed drop down to 2500 or 2000. Also, try and work the scratches with a rotary, orange pad and either Optimum Polish (this should be your first choice as it's the least aggressive) or Optimum Hyper first before wet sanding. Some other good polishes for this if you have them instead of Optimum would be Menzerna or some of the Hi-Temp products.

Lake Country pads are excellent pads to use. I'm not sure that your random orbit machine will be up for the job at hand so you may need to go to a rotary or hire a pro to get the initial paint leveling done.

Anthony

In the case of the deeper scratches there isn't much you can do for those short of a repaint or touch up work. Some guys can do some fantastic work with airbrushes but they are not common.

Thanks Anthony. I plan on buying a rotary. How best to treat the acrylic enamel? Poli-seal then wax?

I'd personally go with Opti-Seal. You can apply several layers and then 24 hours later apply a nice paste wax if you like. Optimum spray wax is best used on clear coats not single stage.

I would recommend Top of the line's Trade Secret paste wax.

Anthony

I would recommend using a lambs wool pad for the compounding with the rotary. It may sound

to agressive but my test have shown wool to cut faster and run cooler on the paint by 5 to 10 degrees

Then switch to foam for final polishing.

I'd personally go with Opti-Seal. You can apply several layers and then 24 hours later apply a nice paste wax if you like. Optimum spray wax is best used on clear coats not single stage.

Anthony

I need a swirl remover for the enamel, OS is a sealer only, so would Poli-seal with a rotary be okay? Top of the Line products aren't readily available to me unfortunately.

Anthony

I need a swirl remover for the enamel, OS is a sealer only, so would Poli-seal with a rotary be okay? Top of the Line products aren't readily available to me unfortunately.

Try Optimum Polish for swirls with a foam pad. You can get Top of the Line products at www.topoftheline.com. I highly reccomend the wax that Anthony suggested. It's great. DON"T use too much.

As always, start with the least abrasive solution and work down to more abrasive if it isn't doing the job. So you might start with poly-seal, and then go to a stronger pad. If that still isn't working go down to polish . You get the idea, right?

Try Optimum Polish for swirls with a foam pad. You can get Top of the Line products at www.topoftheline.com. I highly reccomend the wax that Anthony suggested. It's great. DON"T use too much.

As always, start with the least abrasive solution and work down to more abrasive if it isn't doing the job. So you might start with poly-seal, and then go to a stronger pad. If that still isn't working go down to polish . You get the idea, right?

Got it. Thanks for the advice guys. Time to get the feet wet, so to speak! :P

Archived