Right pads for Hyper Polish?

dansshin

I was recommended to get Lake Country Flat 5.5" pads but I'm wondering if this is the correct pad to use with Hyper Polish? Lake Country also has another product to use with water based products called Hydro-Tech. Is Hyper Polish water based?

Also which Lake Country polishing pad (White, Black or Blue) with Hyper Polish should I use for brand new Black Lexus IS350 that is just arriving from Japan?

Thank you.

You can use the regular LC flat pads, or the Hydro-Tech. Remember the results you get will be a combination of the cut of the product and the cut of the pad. The Hydro-Tech pads have a different color scheme than the regular flat pads.

So let's step back to what you are trying to achieve. I can't speak to whether that Lexus black is one of those very difficult soft blacks, but generally Toyota/Lexus paints are on the softer side. The bigger question is will the car have been washed at the port upon arrival or "prepped" at the dealer before you receive it.

If the car still has the plastic on it, therefore being unmolested since it left the factory, probably a LC flat black or blue, or a HT crimson will be all you need to prep it for whatever you plan to do. If it has been carelessly washed or "polished" on its way to you, then even Hyper-Polish on an orange or tangerine pad may not be aggressive enough to do the job.

Without knowing a little more about the condition of the car or what you are trying to achieve, a "normal" approach for a light polishing would be to use the Hyper-Polish on a white pad, then for a little more pop you might repeat with the black or blue pad (perhaps with an even finer polish like Optimum Finish, although I really don't know how that compares to Hyper-Polish at the end of the day). The Hydro-Tech pads are a little more complicated, but you'd probably start with a tangerine, and repeat with the crimson.

Thank you for your reply. Sorry for not providing additional information. I've asked the dealer not to buff the car and they have agreed to only do touch-less wash and air dry. It should not be washed or touched at the port and I'm expecting the protective film to be on all the way until it gets to the dealer.

Main reason why I'm wanting to polish it with Hyper Polish is because I want to do Opti-Coat 2 application. After which I will be putting Suntek self healing paint protection film on full bumper, full hood, full fender, headlights, foglights, DLR lights, a-pillar, roof line, mirrors, door cups & rear bumper ledge.

One challenge I'm faced with is having to apply all these in ~ 30 - 40 degree temperature in my attached but unheated garage. I'll be using space heater and hair blower to try to warm up the panels to > 50 degrees as I go. Based on input from Chris Thomas this is workable, although more work is required.

Thank you.

Oh, ok. I don't know if Lexus completely covers the car, but I've seen mfrs. that only do the upper/horizontal surfaces, and since the cars get dirty in transit and can get rubbed up against by people squeezing by in the lot or on the transporter, they can get pretty scuffed up on the sides. Plus if you let the dealer take off the plastic, who knows what they will do to it, no matter what they have promised. I have had dealers tell me that once I accepted the car, if there was a defect under the plastic it would be my problem (which turned out ok for me the car was fine under the plastic).

Anyway, you have to inspect the car, if there are no swirls use an LC flat, um, blue, I guess with the Hyper-Polish. If you decide to go with the Hydro-Tech, which are very nice pads, use the crimson. If you have some swirls/marring, start with the white (or even an orange, then white, then black/blue) or the tangerine with the HT, followed by the crimson.

As I said, I can't speak to that Lexus black paint, hopefully if there is anything to watch out for on that another member will chime in with it.

For instance, BMW has a jet black color in certain years that is so soft it's said it's almost impossible to work with, yet they have another black (perhaps a metallic) that is more like normal BMW paint.

If this is a PIA color, you will have to be very careful with your towels for wipeoff, etc.

One possibility would be to use the Blue Waffle pad from Optimum, and if marring is a concern while wiping of Hyper polish, use a MF dampened with ONR.

Archived