Power Clean and Tire Protection & Coating

EBGroup

I generally find there is little need to use an APC (such as Power Clean ) on tires with TPC as it eliminates the browning that typically occurs.  I will typically just use ONR dampened microfiber towel for cleaning tires with TPC applied.  For the rims, it depends on the amount of brake dust accumulated.  If very little,  the ONR dampened microfiber towel will probably be very effective (especially if rims are coated).  For maintenance washes, I have started using P and S Brake Buster  (at 1:1 dilution ratio).  For pure cleaning power, Power Clean is superior but Brake Buster has certain advantages specifically for rims.  It has a slight gel like consistency  (even at 1:1 dilution) that allows it to cling to rims for longer dwell time.  In fact undiluted,  some of my sprayers have a hard time with this product.  The second advantage is it contains a rust inhibitor.  This is very apparent on large disk brakes where they do not turn deep orange after they dry unlike when washing using other APCs. 

Brake Buster is decent at cleaning lightly browned tires so you can use single product for rims and tires.  However, if tires have severe browning (badly neglected) then Power Clean will get you the best result in fewer applications (1-2 vs 3-5).

On 1/7/2021 at 2:13 PM, Detail Mutant said:

I generally find there is little need to use an APC (such as Power Clean ) on tires with TPC as it eliminates the browning that typically occurs.  I will typically just use ONR dampened microfiber towel for cleaning tires with TPC applied.  For the rims, it depends on the amount of brake dust accumulated.  If very little,  the ONR dampened microfiber towel will probably be very effective (especially if rims are coated).  For maintenance washes, I have started using P and S Brake Buster  (at 1:1 dilution ratio).  For pure cleaning power, Power Clean is superior but Brake Buster has certain advantages specifically for rims.  It has a slight gel like consistency  (even at 1:1 dilution) that allows it to cling to rims for longer dwell time.  In fact undiluted,  some of my sprayers have a hard time with this product.  The second advantage is it contains a rust inhibitor.  This is very apparent on large disk brakes where they do not turn deep orange after they dry unlike when washing using other APCs. 

Brake Buster is decent at cleaning lightly browned tires so you can use single product for rims and tires.  However, if tires have severe browning (badly neglected) then Power Clean will get you the best result in fewer applications (1-2 vs 3-5).

Thanks DM for the detailed info and suggestions. I really appreciate it!