A New Member with a Spotty Situation (Opti-Seal on Dash)

laeddis

Hello to the forum! I have been a lurker here off and on for about two years since starting getting into detailing as a hobby a couple years ago (thanks COVID). I have really enjoyed the Optimum resources on car detailing through this journey. The "synergy," mindset in reducing the number of products/steps needed to get the job done really resonates with me. I am creating this account today to ask a question about an incident I have had with a product that I love (Opti-Seal) to see if anyone has ideas for 1) what happened, 2) how to go forward, and 3) how to avoid in the future...

I recently cleaned my wife's Mazda CX-5 and thought applying Opti-Seal to the dash might be nice for its anti-static properties, as it can be a bit of a dust magnet. I have used Opti-Seal on her vehicle's interior door trim before without any issues, but had never applied it to the dash. My process for application is to clean the surface using a damp microfiber that has been soaked in ONR, followed by wiping dry with a second towel and then applying Opti-Seal using the blue applicator pad that comes with the spray. I completed this process and everything looked good to go. The next day in different lightning, I noticed some pretty distinct "spotting," over the whole dash that I am extremely confident was not present before my attempt at dressing with Opti-Seal. I thought maybe the Opti-Seal just left high spots that had dried prior to me noticing during the application, so I then tried some Optimum Power Clean at 10:1 with a detailing brush to just clean the dash. For the life of me, I cannot seem to get these little spots off. The image below is taken *after* the attempts to remove using OPC.

https://imgur.com/a/YrvgUMx

It looks as though the entire dash has been over-sprayed, but I don't spray anything while sitting in the car. I have since tried another pass of ONR with gentle agitation with a damp microfiber, and then even some test areas buffed with gentle pressure and a dry micro fiber. It will seem in the moment that the spots are gone, and then they return after a period. I am really kind of bummed about this, because as you all likely know, once you "see something," as a detailer / hobbyist, it's very hard to "unsee." Has anyone had this odd response with Opti-Seal on interiors before? My next thought is stepping up Optimum Power Clean to 5:1 to try, but I wanted to throw the question out here to see if anyone had other ideas of what is going on.

Thanks so much for any help you all can be!

- Laeddis

I've only used Opti-Seal on really old interior trim and it's worked well (I use Protectant Plus for new cars).  It sounds like the OS is interacting with something on your vinyl.  OS is robust enough to require a stronger ratio of Power Clean to remove (1:3 would be my suggestion), and that might remove whatever is causing the spots as well.

Hey Ron,

Thanks so much for the reply! I have not used Protectant Plus before - I may have to pick it up sometime soon to give it a try! Is that something that, in the worst-case my spotting issue is not solved by the 1:3 dilution, I could apply over-top to mask it? Or, do I really need to solve this surface cleaning issue before layering with anything else?

It really is so strange. I have used Opti-Seal on my Honda Accord interior dash/trim before and had great success - this was the first snag I have ever had with the product. I just whipped up some OPC at 1:3 per your suggestion and gave it another pass. I let the OPC dwell a little longer than the first attempt as well hoping that it will work at whatever is on the surface. I mopped up with a ONR-soaked towel and wiped dry. It looks clean now - I'll report back in a bit if it stays that way (my first cleanings also seemed to do the trick until some time passed and the spotting returned). Thanks for the help on this!

- Laeddis

Whelp... 1:3 OPC did not do the trick, unfortunately. To show a little about the confusion with all this... The set of images below show the dash a couple hours after cleaning with the OPC 3:1 solution and then what I find the next day (this morning).

https://imgur.com/a/tO750Df

Now I am starting to get sad that this might be a permanent reaction that etched the dash somehow. I really have no idea what could have caused this - I have owned the vehicle 2 years and have only ever used ONR to clean those areas periodically.

- Laeddis

Opti-Seal (OS) is my  favorite spray sealant overall, especially as a dryer with an ONR wash.   It’s very unique in its application & how it flashes away. 

I apply it to all exterior surfaces except tires.  I think it works well on exterior paint, glass, & rims & produces a crisp brilliant shine, good water behavior,  no residue, or streaks. 

Unfortunately, it doesn’t work as well on exterior plastics, rubber seals, trims etc. 

This reason, kept me from trying OS on interior vinyl, or plastics-  only interior use is glass.

———-

That being said,  since degreaser won’t take it off as you mentioned,   you could try to add another coat of OS to even out the dash.

This time, maybe try to break the dash up in small sections & wipe if off quickly & evenly right by after evenly applying it to that section before it flashes off. 

It may even out, or don’t add any more OS-  & just keep periodically cleaning it with an interior cleaner, APC,  or LVP cleaner & it will eventually wear away. 

Thanks for your input, D. T.! Evening out with more OS might be worth the shot! I can try in on of the less conspicuous areas behind the touch screen that you can't really see from driver/passenger seat without straining your neck.

Since not using Opit-Seal on interiors, what is your preferred interior dressing?

I use a few different detergents on a damp rag - depending on the situation: 

Cleaning - I use baby shampoo, dawn, tide, or onr mixed with water in a spray bottle,  what’s at hand at the moment…

little more dressed look / uv protection I like  3D bead it up ( smells really good)  works well on LVP it’s slick, & beads spills not to shiny…