First Polishing Experience

Overall I enjoyed every bit of it, but wasn't impressed with the results. It seemed to take out most of the swirls/marring but the polish seemed to leave a bunch of fine scratches. Here was my method:

The Flex

Optimum polish

-polished with orange pad

-finished with white pad

The OP doesn't seem be breaking down, and it was taking FOREVER to do a 1' by 1' area. Not sure if I like this product. Any ideas?

Thanks.

How much polish were you using? Typically if a person states that the polish was taking a long time to break down they had too much on the pad. General rule of thumb I follow is initially 2-3 pea sized drops on the pad per every roughly 2x2 area and less after the pad is primed.

I'm a bit confused by the mention of fine scratches though. What do the scratches look like in appearance? Just typical swirls or is there some distinctive pattern to them?

How much polish were you using? Typically if a person states that the polish was taking a long time to break down they had too much on the pad. General rule of thumb I follow is initially 2-3 pea sized drops on the pad per every roughly 2x2 area and less after the pad is primed.

I'm a bit confused by the mention of fine scratches though. What do the scratches look like in appearance? Just typical swirls or is there some distinctive pattern to them?

Small swirls/scratches in a circliar motion it kinda looked hazy, definatly from the pad/polish. How can I tell if the OP has broken down?

If 2-3 pea sized drop is all I need than I was definatly using to much polish with my 6.5" pads. I was scared of dry buffing.

Do you think the OP is the only polish I will need to achieve a nearly perfect finish?

It's the orange pad and not the polish leaving the marring behind.

You need to first determine if your finish requires an orange pad and this is done by using a pad a step or two finer than it. I usually go to wool before I use an orange pad because they can be rather aggressive. Lambswool leaves behind swirls but they are fine, "wispy" is what I call them and of course product choice determines how deep the swirls will be. A polishing pad can usually remove the wool swirls.

Anthony

OP is a really versatile polish but it does have its limitations like most products. I'm having a heck of a time trying to finish out the resprayed sections of my girlfriend's vehicle with OP and finishing pads because the paint is so soft compared to what I've worked on. That said, on harder and even "normal" strength clear coats OP finishes out beautifully for me with a rotary and of course with a PC as well.

If you're scarred of dry-buffing, spritz water on the pad to provide a little extra lubrication. Also try smearing the polish around a bit before turning the machine on.

I gauge when OP is broken down by the transformation of the polish film from a milky color to a much clearer state where its almost transparent.

Archived