Optimum Metal Polish Review

Premium

I ordered some new Optimum Metal Polish (OMP) a couple of weeks ago and just got an opportunity to use it today.

A guy emailed me this morning about getting a detail done on his pearl white 07 Cadillac Escalade ESV with 26" chrome wheels. He wanted a wash, clay, and wax, but he was really concerned about his wheels. He said they really look horrible and they don't shine like they should. I had some errands to run this morning so I told him I would come by around 1pm. I get there and the truck is dirty, but looks sweet! You can never really tell what kind of shape something is in until you wash it so thats what I told the client. I washed the truck and the wheels with ONR and went from there. The wheels were really spotted up, scratched, and oxidized.

I generally use Mothers chrome polish, but not today, and never again! I tried the MCP first just to compare it to the OMP. The MCP wouldn't even cut through the spotting so I tossed it to the side and pulled out my new OMP. I don't need to say anymore, the pictures speak for themselves!

Front passenger side rim after wash with ONR before OMP.

P1050238.jpg

More before OMP, notice all of the spotting and oxidation.

P1050239.jpg

P1050240.jpg

P1050241.jpg

P1050242.jpg

Now for the afters! Just a simple hand polish with OMP maybe 15 minutes per rim. Night and day difference? I don't know, you tell me! The tires were dressed with Megs Endurance tire gel.

P1050245.jpg

P1050246.jpg

P1050247.jpg

P1050248.jpg

Finished wheel.

P1050244.jpg

I hope you all enjoy! Thanks for looking!

It has both.......mechanical and chemical cleaners. I have used the OMP on various metals and have found it to be very forgiving.

Anthony

thanks Anthony - when you say 'forgiving' what do you mean? I dont want to risk any marring of the very visible trim, like Roll Rpyce radiator fins, chrome bumpers etc. Did look OK on those rims, but as we dont get chrome rims here very often I have no idea how theu might compare to classic chrome or more modern re-chromed restorations?

many thanks

The OMP is a great product. It doesn't stain plastic or rubber trim.

Here is a tip to try on your next chrome exhaust tip clean up. Use a piece of 0000 steel wool apply a little OMP to the piece of steel wool and polish away.

The OMP has a sealant in it as well so it's an all in one. Like Poli-Seal

thanks Anthony - when you say 'forgiving' what do you mean? I dont want to risk any marring of the very visible trim, like Roll Rpyce radiator fins, chrome bumpers etc. Did look OK on those rims, but as we dont get chrome rims here very often I have no idea how theu might compare to classic chrome or more modern re-chromed restorations?

many thanks

As long as you use a soft cloth to apply it should not scratch the wheels or metal of the Rolls.......be watchful though as much of todays "chrome" is really chrome plate over plastic, even on many high dollar cars. If that's the case then I would opt for PoliSeal or other product like PoliSeal.

Anthony

As long as you use a soft cloth to apply it should not scratch the wheels or metal of the Rolls.......be watchful though as much of todays "chrome" is really chrome plate over plastic, even on many high dollar cars. If that's the case then I would opt for PoliSeal or other product like PoliSeal.

Anthony

thanks Anthony

the cars in mind are all classics so no plastic on those :marsa37[1]:

• 11 months later...

I had some free time so I started on the brass candle holder’s tall type and the shorty ones. Moved onto the fireplace tools, and then finished up cleaning various display items that are brass around the house.

Using a drop and spreading around the surface using my fingertip, waiting a minute or so then following up with a MF cloth for my process.

Metal Polish was much easier to use then other products I have used in the past with no harsh smells, and my fingertip cleaned right up with soap and water. No stained fingers.

Best part is my bride is happy and so am I. This cleaning and polishing was a pain before but no more!

Archived