Help with applying Opti-Coat

MDRX8

Dr G. has sent me my 40cc's of coating. Who can I talk to about applying this precious coating? I am going to be putting it on a fiberglass boat first customer. There were 0 instructions with the product and I don't want to mess things up. If I mess things up it would be bad for me and bad for Optimum. I want the best results I can get.

Dr G. has sent me my 40cc's of coating. Who can I talk to about applying this precious coating? I am going to be putting it on a fiberglass boat first customer. There were 0 instructions with the product and I don't want to mess things up. If I mess things up it would be bad for me and bad for Optimum. I want the best results I can get.

I thought this coating was supposed to be offered only to professionals that were going to be buying into the territory? Surely if that's the case some training would have been provided for application of the product.

I am sure the lack of instructions is an oversight. That said, the key to success , like anything in life is preparation. For your customer you will want to polish the surfaces to perfection(or to a point that the customer is happy with) as this surface will be the surface that will be locked in by the Opti-Coat. Once the surface is polished to your customers liking, you will then need to clean it with a good wax and grease remover.

Once the prep is done the fun begins, and try to have your customer close, it's worth it to see the smile on his/her face. Wearing protective gloves, cut a small MF or similar application pad(we use a 3 inch square piece of MF for large surfaces, and a 2 inch square piece of polypropylene toweling(J cloth) for small surfaces such as headlights(the J cloth does not absorb much material). Moisten the pad with OC and apply to a small test area(1 square foot), then observe the reaction, you will see the product start to flash(dry), and as it does so you will see yellow and purple streaking or hazing, when 50% or more of the surface is like this, buff with a clean MF towel. Once you gage the speed of reaction(OC is moisture cured, the higher the ambient moisture the faster the cure) you will be able to determine how large a section to do at a time. If you have an employee working with you, then they can monitor and buff as needed. Your goal should be to spread the OC as thinly and evenly as possible. If the flash time is longer than a few mins you may be applying too much product. Another good test is to apply it to a piece of dark tinted glass, it's easy to see the reaction times on glass.

By test, I mean test for it's reaction time, on a small area. before starting to spread it over a large surface. For learning how to do it, yes test on something else.

There are a few ways tp apply the coating.

Paper towel method.

For hard clears and light colored finishes use a blue shop paper towel folded into squares. Apply a line of the product down the center of the towel.

apply with straight overlapping strokes.

MF towel method with foam block.

Using a foam sanding block from the Paint supply store wrap one layer of a ultra suede mf towel. Apply a line down the middle of the warped block.

apply with straight overlapping strokes. This method allows you to work the product in a little better.

You only want to do one panel at a time. after applying the coating watch it as if flashes off. after 90 to 95% has flashed off give a very light buff with a soft mf towel. this will help elminate and clouding after the product dries.

Thin coats are best. However you don't want it too thin. This will feel like your almost wiping the paint dry.

We like to apply two coats. The second right after you have completed the first one. If you try and do it at a later time like a couple of days or weeks the product will not want to bond to itself with out a good machine polishing.

Don't be afraid to apply to lights or black plastic pieces.

After you have finished and the product has had a chance to breath about one hour you can lightly buff with OID for a super slick feel.

Make sure you are in a well lit area out of the direct sun and the paint is cooled to the air temp.

Any questions after a purchase you all are welcome to call the shop {Concours Auto Salon} for tips and tricks.

We will be offering complete detail training classes soon. That will include the coating application, buffing, vapor steam as well as adding up sell services to boost your profits.

No problem, and now we can say opti coat clear, I delivered a car to a customer on the week end who gave me a hug and cried when he saw his car. I felt like someone on the crew of overhauling. The results with this product just keep on amazing me, we did a Rubicon yesterday, and coated all the black plastic(and it has lots of it), the results feel like silk, and make the plastic look much darker and brighter.

• 3 weeks later...

We are about to apply OC on our first vehicle. I really like how the foam block/mf towel method sounds. I have just one question for all who have already used OC. About how much product does it take to cover an entire vehicle? In our case, it will be a 350Z.

We are about to apply OC on our first vehicle. I really like how the foam block/mf towel method sounds. I have just one question for all who have already used OC. About how much product does it take to cover an entire vehicle? In our case, it will be a 350Z.

First, make sure the paint is well polished and then you may want to give it a No Rinse. Then wipe all areas down to be coated with straight alcohol, we use 90%.

My method for application is to use a soft terry cloth, apply just enough OC to do a panel.....or a pre-defined area (this comes with use, but best to use too little at first than too much). Rub in until almost evaporated and then using a plush microfiber towel I buff that area down.

Don't apply to an area on the Z any larger than say the front fender or door. You'll want to spread the product quickly over the area and then continue working the product in until you notice the product flashing off and you may also notice it getting a little grabby, this then is the time to buff that section out very well. Use medium pressure while buffing and make sure not to miss any areas. I just applied it to a Meteorite Grey Porsche today and it came out beautiful but patience is key with this product. If you have any areas that look hazy you can use an orbital, polish pad and a mild polish to knock it down and then re-apply.

Make sure also that you do not undersell the product but are getting at least $150 extra on top of any paint correction costs. You'll get the hang of it quickly. Just remember to apply it to a clean surface.

Good luck,

Anthony

Too add to the above great reply, be very methodical, don't miss any corners or edges when applying or buffing, both will show(missed and mis wiped)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I kind of figured out the application on my own, apply, let flash off and then lightly buff with an MF towel.

Is an ONR wash enough after polishing and prior to application or is an alcohol wipe-down recommended?

• 2 months later...

Archived