Pad/Polish Starting Point

I recently received a PC 7424 and am going to attempt my first machine polish this weekend. I've got a pretty wide variety of CCS pads and my order for some Poli-Seal and Optimum Polish just came in. My question is what pad and polish combo do you guys usually start with?

I know I should try to use the mildest combo possible while still achieving the correction I need. Does that mean start with a blue pad and Poli-Seal and work my way up? Will that give me any cut at all? Do any of you pros have a favorite starting place?

Also what is your usual progression when you decide you need to be more aggressive? Obviously PS on a blue pad is the lowest end of the abrasion spectrum and Opt Polish on an orange would be the highest (ignoring optimum compound and hyper compound for the moment.) But what gives more cut, upping the pad or the polish? For instance is PS on an orange pad more aggressive than OP on a white or vice versa?

Based on everything I've read so far this is my initial plan:

Start with PS on a white pad

then OP on a white

then PS on an orange

last resort would be OP on an orange

After I get the level of correction I need I'll step backwards through that progression and finish with PS on a Gray finishing pad and then top it with some spray wax or QD.

To give some context I've got a metallic black '08 BMW which I ONR and spray wax pretty regularly. The paint isn't in bad shape, but in direct sunlight I can see some moderate swirl marks which I'm trying to correct. Any input or advice would be much appreciated.

-Mike

Okay, give me a run down on the pads. Which color is the most abrasive and so forth to the least.

A Porter Cable doesn't make much heat. Therefore you generally need to use a more abrasive pad/product combo to affect any significant finish correction.

Also, no matter what you do, you need to thoroughly wash and clay bar, then re-wash the car, before you attempt to correct the finish. If not your pissing in the wind.

Okay, give me a run down on the pads. Which color is the most abrasive and so forth to the least.

Ok, as far as I know the following is a list of all the CCS pads from most aggressive to least aggressive:

Yellow cutting

Orange light cutting

White polishing

Green light polishing

Gray finishing

Blue finessing

Red ultrasoft

I currently have the follow pads on hand to choose from for this weekend:

Orange cutting

White polishing

Gray finishing

Blue finessing

If you have moderate swirls then my plan would be starting with a polishing pad, like Lake Country white or the Optimum green pad and OP.

By this you should know where to go next, either move up in pad aggression or stay with the white pad. After that you can then move down the pad scale one still using OP.

If you need more cut then try the Optimum Compound, again starting with a white pad. I suggest white (polishing) because it's a middle of the road starting point which can then determine where to go next.

Always try pads first before going to a stronger polish/compound.

Anthony

Ok, so stepping up and down with pads gives a finer adjustment to the cut and moving from PS to polish to compound makes a bigger difference.

Good to know. Thanks.

If you have moderate swirls then my plan would be starting with a polishing pad, like Lake Country white or the Optimum green pad and OP.

By this you should know where to go next, either move up in pad aggression or stay with the white pad. After that you can then move down the pad scale one still using OP.

If you need more cut then try the Optimum Compound, again starting with a white pad. I suggest white (polishing) because it's a middle of the road starting point which can then determine where to go next.

Anthony

does optimum sell pads anthony?

Archived