Flawless Reflections Posted December 10, 2010 Share Posted December 10, 2010 My neighbour wanted me to get the water spots out of his jet ski and do something to try to protect it as much as possible against having them reappear. This is what I did: I almost didn't write this as I only have 4 outdoor after pics and I didn't want people saying it was a lousy job and he didn't take many shots. The owner came before I had a chance to shoot any pics and I had to go to where we had my daughter's birthday party booked. I snapped 4 shots off on my iphone in the driveway as I helped him push it back to his house. The craft is in lake water all season and even gets washed with lake water. The customer wanted 2 things: 1) get rid of the water spots 2) max protection against re-occurrence And he wanted it as cheap as possible. I quoted him 4 hours labour + $30 surcharge for using Opti Coat. Here's what i was up against: CORRECTION: The first attempt was using M105 and a small blue pad. The pad was not aggressive enough and I really was not able to use a machine on the orange which also had a lot of spots on it. That left me with 105 by hand...or....oh, yeah, I had forgotten I had bought a bottle of Danase Water Spot Remover after having seen a thread Jason did with a black Avalanche. The instructions say to let it dwell for about 30 seconds. That was not doing a good enough job. I put it on a white terry towel and rubbed it in and let it dwell for about a minute. Without removing it, I rubbed more in and let it dwell for another minute. That was removed with a mf. Water spots gone. I followed that up with Krud Kutter at 100% to neutralize the acid. The black painted areas got compounded with M205 and a white LCC pad with my Dynabrade. It cleaned the paint and gave a great shine. No correction was even attempted. I was over the time allotted so it was just going to be a matter of making it shine. WASHING: I was hoping to remove some of the water spots with the cleaning stage, but that was a fail. I first sprayed Zep Citrus (4:1) on the paint and let it dwell. I then foamed it with DG 901/Citrus mix and let that dwell followed by a wash with 901. There was no LSP left but lots and lots of water spots were also left. I could have skipped the APC stage I believe. BEFORES: Some 50/50 shots of Danase WSR: Danase's done its magic (but not polished yet): Using Opti Coat: I tried my OC once again. Before applying the OC, I wiped down the paint with Varsol. I have applied it with a foam applicator pad in the past. I tried that again and it worked as it always had. I then tried it with a cotton makeup pad that I use for CQ. I found that I used less product that way. I would apply it to an area and immediately go over it again to even it out and make sure I had 100% coverage. I let it dry for about 2 minutes and then removed it with a mf. (Pakshak soft purple one). I then did a 2nd coat after a minute or so doing the same procedure. I found that OC is not a smooth surface when completed. Even after curing for more than 24 hours, it was not smooth like CQ is. I hit it with some ReLoad and presto, it was slick. AFTERS: Thanks for looking. Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.