Cyclo's Dual-Precision Pads

Anthony Orosco

I have been given an early preview of some new pads from Cyclo and I believe they have done all detailers right by this new upgrade.

The first Cyclo pads were rubber booties attached to the foam pads. They were a real pain to get on and off but they were always centered. Then they came out with rubber booties which had velcro attached to them, the pads having velcro on them also. Switching out pads was now a breeze but you had to center the pads yourself which was not always fun. Get a pad to far to one side and you had foam shavings everywhere.

Now Cyclo has again upgraded their pads and they way they are attached. Gone are the velcro booties and in their place are two seperate posts and the new pads now lock into those posts. There is now the best of both worlds, they are easy to change out and they are always centered!!

So here are the pads:

cylnewpads.jpg

I first removed the old velcro pad holders via my handy dandy Metabo wrench....lost my Cyclo wrench :P :

cylpadremove.jpg

After the old pads are removed you simply screw in the new posts, tighten them down.

cylpostattach.jpg

Here the Cyclo is all done with its new posts ready for its new pads. Took me about 5 minutes so far.

cylposts.jpg

Now all you do is line up the pad with the post and push down, takes some light pressure but you hear it SNAP right into place.

cylorngalign.jpg

cylorngplace.jpg

Here both pads are on and secure ready for some polishing. Notice the extra thickness of the pads? They are actually two pads bonded together so after polishing one side of the car one would normally wash out the pads but now all you need to do is remove the pads, flip them over and keep on polishing.

cylorngdual.jpg

The foam on the orange pads also feels different.....not sure how different just yet....just different ;) I also like the idea of the two different grade pads bonded together like in the below picture.....we have the finishing white bonded with the green cutting pads. I'm not a big user of the green pads but here the foam also feels different, softer, more flex and more give. I'll see how they work as I put them through their paces tomorrow.

cyldualpads.jpg

Thanks,

Anthony

Well at 5:30 AM this morning I got up anxious to try out the new Cyclo pads and pad posts. Last night I washed my truck so it would be ready to go this morning.

I applied some Optimum Compound to the orange pads and set about polishing my trucks hood. The orange pads chattered a bit at first but this was quickly corrected as I gave the Cyclo a slight adjustment in angle. I lifted slightly up on the handle towards the front and this gave me much smoother operation.

The orange pads, while seeming to be of a different foam composition, are still rather firm because of the middle section where the two pads are bonded together. Thier cutting ability is, IMHO, superior when compared to the hook and loop versions.

After the Optimum Compound and orange pads I switched to white pads and Optimum Polish.

Switching pads out is so easy its almost ridiculous. Place your thumb in the center of the pad and press on the top of the post and then pull up on the pad. The center post is spring loaded so this releases the locking mechanism. Place the new pads on the post, give a firm press and SNAP....it's ready to go again.

Now the white pads seem to glide effortlessly over the paint....nothing but a pure pleasure to operate. How anyone would want to be vibrated to death with a PC over the smooth operation of a Cyclo I have no idea.....but to each their own.

After polishing with the white pads and OCP I then applied the new Optimum Sealant and walked away to enjoy some coffee....then realized I have a nice looking hood, so nice that I need to now do the whole truck! ;)

I love these new pads and system, a definite winner in my book.

Happy Detailing,

Anthony

Anthony- As you suspected, I found this new development interesting! It's the Edge 2000 system, right (or at least some variation on that theme)? I'm especially intrigued by the apparently new foam being used.

Dunno if you saw it, but there was a thread over at Autopia.org where somebody's E2K system, used with a PC, tore at the center hole and they got damage. No way to *really* tell what was the root-cause of the incident but it did touch on my exact concerns about this method of mounting the pads: there's stuff (metal and plastic stuff) there that simply is *not* there with the other types of Cyclo pad mounting (and yeah, I still have some of the 1st generation pads with those rubber booties :P ). I'll be keeping an eye on this whole thing and with any luck my fears will prove unfounded...there appears to be a lot of pad between the plastic and the surface being worked, but, well, I'm gonna be cautious. And I still have all those old pads to use up while you do the beta-testing ;)

So you still use the Cyclo a lot huh? I was somehow under the impression that you do almost everything by rotary these days.

Accumulator....

Yeah I know the exact thread....I can't see how a pad, especially on a PC, just blows up like that. I would go more to the side of operator error....although I still can't figure out how one can do that type of damage with a PC??? Perhaps it's a combination of defect and operator?

Well in regards to the Cyclo pads...I pushed down as hard as I could but I could not squish the pads down to the posts so there is plenty of cush there.

I do use the Cyclo alot still, mainly for finishing work. The Optimum PoliSeal works well though with orange pads for those quick one-steps.

Anthony

Accumulator....

Yeah I know the exact thread....I can't see how a pad, especially on a PC, just blows up like that. I would go more to the side of operator error....although I still can't figure out how one can do that type of damage with a PC??? Perhaps it's a combination of defect and operator?

Well in regards to the Cyclo pads...I pushed down as hard as I could but I could not squish the pads down to the posts so there is plenty of cush there.

I do use the Cyclo alot still, mainly for finishing work. The Optimum PoliSeal works well though with orange pads for those quick one-steps.

Anthony

I too found the whole thing both perplexing and a little disturbing (the way the communications went, on both sides of the situation).

OK, good to hear that the pads are nice and thick and you don't foresee similar problems. The thick pads might offer some other benefits too; if I'm gonna bump something (who..me?) I'd rather do it with foam than with the body of the machine or the hard rubber boots. It's great that they're keeping the Cyclo up to date with new technology.

So the orange pads leave a decent final/ready-to-wax finish huh? That does sound different from the older orange 4" pads.

Glad to hear you're still finding uses for the Cyclo, seems like a lot of people are leaning towards rotary only these days, even to the point of saying it's the only way to get a decent final finish.

Is this new pad/mount system available for retail purchase yet or is it still in the testing phase?

Edit: I see that's already been asked. Now I'll have to choose between patronizing you or Irene, huh ;)

• 3 weeks later...
I too found the whole thing both perplexing and a little disturbing (the way the communications went, on both sides of the situation).

OK, good to hear that the pads are nice and thick and you don't foresee similar problems. The thick pads might offer some other benefits too; if I'm gonna bump something (who..me?) I'd rather do it with foam than with the body of the machine or the hard rubber boots. It's great that they're keeping the Cyclo up to date with new technology.

So the orange pads leave a decent final/ready-to-wax finish huh? That does sound different from the older orange 4" pads.

Glad to hear you're still finding uses for the Cyclo, seems like a lot of people are leaning towards rotary only these days, even to the point of saying it's the only way to get a decent final finish.

Is this new pad/mount system available for retail purchase yet or is it still in the testing phase?

Edit: I see that's already been asked. Now I'll have to choose between patronizing you or Irene, huh ;)

FYI.. I am in the process of adding the new DualPrecision Cyclo Pads to our site. Should be up by this week-end. I also had a complaint about the new Edge pads from a customer today. He had one of the wool versions fall apart at the center hub while using on a rotary. Glad we don't carry them. The Cyclo Dual Pad hub is part of a plastic plate that extends all the way through the diameter of the pads, which seems to eliminate the possibility of a disconnect.

Hi Irene!

that's kinda scary about the wool pad failure on the rotary. Thanks for explaining about how the foam pads have the plastic plate. No worries regarding that plastic plate ever causing problems? As you can see I'm approaching this with great caution.

Hi Irene!

that's kinda scary about the wool pad failure on the rotary. Thanks for explaining about how the foam pads have the plastic plate. No worries regarding that plastic plate ever causing problems? As you can see I'm approaching this with great caution.

Of course, with any new tool, overall longevity is the unknown, but I can't see there is any more risk of this design separating than the velcro coming off a backplate or a pad. If a center hub is the main point of attachment, this would be a different story.

• 4 weeks later...

I've had the new Edge Cyclo pads on my Cyclo for a couple of weeks now. So far, so very good. Swapping out pads is incredibly easy and even under heavy pressure, there seems to be no way for the metal posts to hit the paint.

Scott- Does the foam appear to be the same as that on the "old style" Cyclo pads? I.e., are the orange/green/white ones functionally the same as the single-layer pads we've been using?

From my talks with the people at Cyclo it's the same foam BUT the thickness of the pad makes the texture feel different. So the foam feels like it's more spongey but in reality it's not it's the thickness of the pad.

Anthony

Archived