Coatings As Trim Restorers

Setec Astronomy

I know a lot of people use Opti-Coat 2.0 or Opti-Guard (Opti-Coat Pro?) on new trim to protect it, and I know that there has been varied success with OC on weathered trim, will the new Opti-Lens or perhaps even Opti-Glass have any application on black or gray plastic trim?

As most of you know, the silicone oil-type trim restorers are pretty useless, however I have found the sealant-type trim products to have some usefulness. I have tried one of the trim coatings/restorers, and have had kind of mixed results with it, so I was wondering what the Optimum coatings could do.

Well...ok, the restorer I have used is C4, and it's not an oil or dye, but some sort of coating. It did work great the first time I used it on some badly weather textured black trim, the problem was it didn't really last. On subsequent applications it seemed that some of the solvent had evaporated from the product making it more difficult to apply and resulting in some dry-worked (dull) areas, and some areas that were too shiny.

Now that the wheels are turning, if it's UV damage that fades black plastic textured trim, it would seem that Opti-Lens would be the ticket...have you or anyone else that you know of tried it for protection in that application?

Your terms contain your answer. There are "coatings" and there are "restorers". The restorers will be temporary due to the oil/dye that changes the appearance of the trim. The coating protect the trim and keep it from further deterioration in it's current form, albeit new or worn. The only way that I can think of to both restore and coat would be to use a heat gun to bring the impregnated factory color to the surface...then coat the part so that it does not fade again with exposure. I'm not sure how careful you need to be or if all trim will perform this way...but most of the stippled bumper and side molding should.

thats an interesting approach Chris...ill have to try it out...my friend has a 96 ram (used to be mine) that i could use as the guinea pig!

I've tried OC on Mini Trim and it just didnt add anything for me one bit. Trim was battered, so if you want to restore it, use sometihng like DLux. OC is for Paint/Metals IMO.

Archived