First time applying!

Shane@JeffBelzer

Hi,

New here, tomorrow will be my first time applying opti-coat 2.0. I have a few questions to make sure im ready :)

First off i sold the guy on getting the jambs and the insides of the wheels coated as well, so i will be applying to all exterior paint, trim surfaces except glass. I will also be coating wheel faces and barrels.

The vehicle is a 2013 jet black corvette. I have already corrected the front clip before the vette received a clear bra. I will be correcting the rest of the car tomorrow then applying so it can cure before the customer picks it up.

My questions are how i should be applying opti-coat to plastic and the wheels and what technique to use for areas the yellow applicator sponge wont access like the lower plastic grill inserts etc...

My plan was to opti-coat the paint and trim, jambs then when done remove the wheels and clean and coat them. Do the wheels need to cure before they can be put back on the car? Also i would assume i should to an IPA wipe down on the wheels and other surfaces just like i would the paint after polishing?

Thanks in advanced

Thanks, I wasn't trying to make a customer car my first application but it seems straight forward, i just haven't had time to buff my own truck for application :(

I spent most my day today buffing the vette to near perfection, then i removed the wheels cleaned them, wiped them down with a roughly 12-15% IPA solution and applied OC to the barrels then to the wheel wells and i think i got the hang of it. Like you said checking at different angles looking for high spots and nocking them down is important. I also watched you youtube video on applying which helped.

Thanks i have not done the exterior yet, i might quickly buff my trucks hood and apply to that before applying to the customers corvette!

Thanks, I wasn't trying to make a customer car my first application but it seems straight forward, i just haven't had time to buff my own truck for application :(

I spent most my day today buffing the vette to near perfection, then i removed the wheels cleaned them, wiped them down with a roughly 12-15% IPA solution and applied OC to the barrels then to the wheel wells and i think i got the hang of it. Like you said checking at different angles looking for high spots and nocking them down is important. I also watched you youtube video on applying which helped.

Thanks i have not done the exterior yet, i might quickly buff my trucks hood and apply to that before applying to the customers corvette!

Let us know how it turns out.

well i went into work today to try and get the vette coated in OC 2.0. I had to fix my brinkman LED light and when i did and check over the paint i found a few spots with marring and some micro scratches i missed. So after polishing them out with HD polish, b&s blue foam pad and my flex DA Im happy with the paint Im pretty sure i have achieved a nearly perfect paint surface. It was rainy today so i couldn't move the car to my bay to coat it so i had the wheel installed and coated the faces and polished the exhaust ps using OPT metal polish. Monday i will coat the thing :)

Well im done applying OC to the vehicle, I was able to do it right i hope, fingers crossed, i know i did a good job on the wheel because those suckers bead like a mutha F**ker.

My only concern is that the OC might not of adhered properly in some areas... The reason i say that is in some areas even after i went over and checked for high spots it looked kind of residue'y if that makes sense, it didn't look like the rainbow colored high spots just kind of smudgy i guess, and it wiped right off even after 30 minutes or so when I'm assuming it should be dry.. I did an IPA wipe down before application, my solution was 4oz of of 98% IPA into a 32oz sprayer of water yielding roughly a 12-15% solution. But even with that i had trouble with the IPA leaving a residue? The only was to gently remove without introducing more scratches was with a damp MF then a dry one... Also i dont know if its my MF towels or what but i had a hard time not marring the paint during wipe down even using fairly soft brand new 70/30 MF towels... And i thought corvette paint was hard?

Now if i want to do a second coat to make sure its coated enough how long do i need to wait? And when is it safe to pull outside to inspect after applying?

Thanks a ton guys, i just want this to be as perfect as possible for my first time, the buyer has a daughter with a BMW i might be able to do as well so good first impressions is really important on this and i wont deliver this vehicle until my compulsive obsessive need for perfection has been satisfied!

Thanks guys lesson learned after applying and checking with my brinkman, pull out side! I had to polish a few high spots then re apply, over all im happy and so was the customer so thats all that matters. I wish i had pics of this thing before it was so scratched and marred after a year on our lot/ show floor.

Here ya go.

IMG_2752_zps0d184da5.jpg

IMG_2751_zps76ca73b9.jpg

IMG_2753_zps827850b8.jpg

IMG_2754_zps352ed2d2.jpg

IMG_2755_zps6728b40e.jpg

IMG_2756_zps89b0024d.jpg

IMG_2757_zpsfcc52ce9.jpg

IMG_2759_zpsca40b664.jpg

IMG_2760_zpsee7e8ccd.jpg

IMG_2761_zps68b3d825.jpg

IMG_2762_zpse047e2e1.jpg

IMG_2764_zps44e2bae5.jpg

IMG_2765_zps2596fce3.jpg

IMG_2766_zps600632a0.jpg

IMG_2767_zpsc3c71ccf.jpg

IMG_2769_zps186ef023.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Yes! i had issues with my IPA marring then i had to re polish or with it leaving residue because i wasn't in a well lit area of our shop. I actually did the thing in a separate area then my very well lit detail shop because it was the cleanest, less traffic and dust free mostly. But Ron from optimum suggested OPC so i tried that on some of the re polish spots and it seemed to work good, then David still suggested i use IPA lol... Ill keep trying with both and see where it leads me, cant wait for the next one :)

Archived