ONR @ 128:1 vs Opti-Clean for a pre-treat

I already own ONR, but today for the first time tried the 128:1 (QD?) dilution as a pre-treat and it was like a miracle compared to pre-treating with 256:1!! 

as I’m running low on ONR and going to make an order soon, is buying some opti-clean (I’ll be getting some eventually waterless washes seem so fun lol) to use as pre treat better than ONR 128:1 dilution? Looking for effectiveness more than cost here. 

curious why the surprise that a pre-spray ratio cleans better than the wash mix?  Opti-Clean is stronger than ONR and also works as a pre-spray.  My only issue with Opti-Clean, it's less effective (IMO) on dirty cars - you need to use more product or make more passes and it becomes less cost effective then than ONR.

On 9/4/2021 at 6:35 PM, stephen.details said:

I already own ONR, but today for the first time tried the 128:1 (QD?) dilution as a pre-treat and it was like a miracle compared to pre-treating with 256:1!! 

as I’m running low on ONR and going to make an order soon, is buying some opti-clean (I’ll be getting some eventually waterless washes seem so fun lol) to use as pre treat better than ONR 128:1 dilution? Looking for effectiveness more than cost here. 

I had thought the QD ratio was 16:1.  

Optimum No Rinse Dilution Ratios (water: product)
  • Rinseless washing- 256:1
  • Water softener – 256:1
  • Glass cleaner – 256:1
  • Clay bar lubricant – 64:1
  • Quick detailer – 16:1
  • Drying aid – 16:1
  • Interior cleaner – 256:1
  • Before pre-rinsing – 256:1
  • Engine bay cleaning – 16:1

7 hours ago, KIS76@ said:

I just tried the 128:1 and you're not kidding, it's awesome.

Oh yeah! Super super economical and makes for the best pre spray. I have little to no dirt on my towel when drying, and what dirt I do find, is only because I’m not able to power wash in my apartment parking lot. Glad you enjoyed it 🙂

The ratios above are mostly, but not entirely Optimum's recommendations.  For really hard water, OPT recommends 1 oz of ONR to 1 gallon.  Dedicated glass cleaner is 6 oz ONR to 1 gallon.  All formulas are open for customization - for instance some mix ONR 256:1 in garden sprayer as pre-soak, not as effective as 16:1 pre-spray/quick detailer but still works (and economical).