The Players is this week!

ehall

So, I won't be around to monitor you scoundrels...and Anthony. Please behave! Anthony and Ron are too busy to hand out wrist slaps! :cheese1[1]: (like that EVER happens around here...)

Anyway, I'll be at TPC Sawgrass, and I'll try to take some really good pics, of the players, and the hotties!

Here are my predictions, for those of you who follow the PGA Tour.

I'm picking Stewart Cink to win.

I think Anthony Kim will play REALLY well and is my second favorite.

Vijay Singh REALLY wants it this year! This is his home course, as it is Jim Furyk's home course BOTH have a great Shot!

Adam Scott, who won two years ago, is also playing really well.

Sergio Garcia seems to have learned how to put.

EIGHT winners, on this year's Tour, were under 30 years old.

Of those, that includes both Adam Scott and Master's Champ, Trevor Immelman.

Of the two, Trevor is my darkhorse pick.

And my third pick is Ernie Els.

My brain picks Cink, but my gut says Ernie. He's a SUPER GUY, (I talk with him every year, at this Major championship, and he plays this course fantastically.

ANYWAY, you guys behave, and I'll try to add to this thread each night of the tourney.

Look for my reports on this thread!

Elliott

ehall – do indeed let us know of your daily experiences at Sawgrass

Players, celebs, “hotties,” course conditions, sponsors at “tent city” and the cost of a Sawgrass ball mark - $20?

al

I live in Jax, Fl and my in-laws live right in Sawgrass so I plan to be there...maybe just for Saturday. Park-n-walk is a wonderful thing. Don't care who wins really-Furyk is a good pick.

I have two extra Benefactor tickets for Tuesday and Wednesday, as well as an extra Island Club ticket for those two days, if you would like to go with me.

email at ehall391@comcast.net and I'll give you my phone number. I'd love to have you along!

Okay, for today’s news from Sawgrass.

05/05/08

Hall Press Intl.

Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla.

The sun was awake early and quite alert, as Pete Dye's master piece began to come to life. Though the natural bermuda rough appears a bit sluggish, by former course standards, Superintendent Fred Klauk's staff was busy injecting it with watery exuberance. A short cold snap, that enveloped this area just 10 days ago, left the rough a bit less furious than was once seen, in the days of the over seeded rye grass rough, of just two years ago. Where once, a spectator might lose a shoe, outside of the ropes, around the tenth green, now, nary a footwear bandit exists. The rough is reported at a length of 3 inches, around all of the greens, and only an easy two inches along the fairways.

Yet still, TPC Sawgrasses Stadium Course is just awakening! With all of the fairway rough being watered continually, and the greens being deprived of the same, the teeth of this dog are just beginning to sharpen! As of today, Klauk rated the quickness of the greens, at 12, on the Stimp Meter (1) and quickly moving to 13 by tournament time. By the colors of the greens, 13 is overly pessimistic. If the greens aren't rolling at 14 by Sunday's ultimate round, the heavens will have opened up upon a First Coast that expects exactly ZERO rain! On the grainy bermuda greens of Ponte Vedra, speeds seen at The Master's, Shinnocock Hills, and Oakmont, would not be unrealistic, nor would the difficulty of these greens be any less daunting.

The list of former Player's Champions is a close parallel to a list of World Golf Hall of Fame members. Among past champions include former major champions and current, as well as future Hall of Famer's like Jack Nicklaus (three times), Fred Couples (twice), Lee Trevino, Tiger Woods, Phil Mickelson, Greg Norman, Ray Floyd, Al Geiberger, Tom Kite, Lanny Wadkins and Lee Janzen, to name only the shoe ins, and already ins. The current field, despite the absence of Tiger Woods, will still field the single toughest player list, in all of world golf. The field is deeper than any other single major championship and deeper by leaps and bounds!

Coming into this year's tournament is list of twenty something winners, on this year's tour. Among those are 2004 Champion, Adam Scott, Master's Champion Trevor Immelman, and last week's Wachovia Championship winner, Anthony Kim, as well as Sean O'Hair, whose final round demise, on Sawgrass's notorious 17th hole, dropped him from second to twelfth place. To add to the list are Master's phenom Brandt Snedeker, Sergio Garcia,who ALWAYS plays well here, long bombing and double FBR Open Champion, J.B. Holmes; who stared down Player's defending Champion, Phil Mickelson, at Phil's home tournament, to win in extra holes. If that were not enough, the field has most of the fan's favorites, from the down home Floridian, Boo Weekly, who will play to this sympathetic, and slightly redneck crowd, to Fred Couples, who made it in due to another player's injury. The older, I call them "mature" fans, like myself, will get Woody Austin, resurgent Steve Flesch, fresh from his best Master's performance, as well as the ever menacing locals, in Vijay Singh and Jim Furyk.

Yet this tournament continues to absorb criticisms that seem to prevent it ascendance to full major status.

Player's claim that the final three holes, the par 5, reachable 16th, the famous Island green 17th, and the daunting, water left, 18th, are are too contrived, or "tricked up"? If that is the case, then how would one describe Augusta National's "Amen Corner"? The unreachable par 4, 505 yard, 11th hole provides a second shot, from a side hill, and down hill lie, into a green that is slicker than an Exxon proxy statement! The par 3 12th hole, is a 150 yard shot to a green that can only be held with a shot trajectory of an ICBM, and the reachable 501 yard, par 5 13th, offers a second shot to the green fronted by water and backed by three bunkers...and a player only has to hold that green with something between a fairway wood to 5 iron! Yet somehow, a reachable par 5, a 17th hole, that requires a shot less than 140 yards, and an 18th hole that plays perfectly for a fader, is somehow tricked up. Perhaps the absence of a Herbert Warren Wind, who penned the moniker, "Amen Corner", is the only real difference.

What is certain, about this Player's Championship, is that the actual golf drama should not disappoint. With the current deity of golf, sidelined with a knee injury, the competition will be every bit as dramatic, gut wrenching and grueling, as the best of the other major championships. The stars want his for pride. The young players want his one for respect, and the hanger's on want this one for the five year exemption and the 1.9 million dollar pay check, the largest single purse on the Tour! What is also certain is that without a large cat in contention, most average fans won't even watch it. Too bad for them!

In the words of Jimmy Buffet, "The weather is here. I wish you were beautiful!"

(1) A Stimp Meter is a ramp, upon which one places a golf ball, at a prescribed height. The ball is then released. The distance of the ball's roll out, in feet, is the Stimp measurment of the green. A green rolling at 12 ft on the Stimp meter indicates that the ball rolled 12 feet when released on to a flat green. This is the unforn unit of green speed measurement.

that was a good read. and thanks for the offer on the Benefactor tickets. If I wasn't buried in work and kids this week, I would certainly hit you up. I was actually in the area yesterday and the traffic cops, yellow ropes, and roadside signage was in full swing. TPC is a great thing for this area.

Dude.....That is an awesome venue.. ENJOY ENJOY ENJOY...can you sneak in and get in a round? hehehehehe kinda the Rosie Ruiz of golf!

From the Florida Times Union: Tiger Woods won't play in the 2008 Players Championship after undergoing knee surgery on April 15. Although every other big name in golf will be at the TPC Sawgrass Players Stadium Course, the loss of the world's No. 1-ranked golfer and perhaps most recognizable athlete will make a difference in television ratings and buzz.

I am so bummed Tiger can't play.... Just imagine if Tiger was playing and just at the pinnicle of his backswing ehall snaps a pic and Tiger goes off his freakin' rocker!!!! We would see on National TV that ehall was there!!!!!! Upon the close up repeat of all the sports news stations both local and National there is ehall with his OPTIMUM T Shirt!!!!!!!!!!! Anthony we need those tees of better yet GOLF SHIRTS!!!!!! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!

In the next 36 hours, I'll add my day by day blog entries to this thread. If you watched the tournament, you'll understand why I'm behind!

I've invited Michael Collins, the broadcast voice of The Golf Channels, "The Turn" television program, stand up comedian, and former PGA Tour caddie for about 8 years, to check out this thread. We've emailed back and forth, throughout the event, though we weren't able to meet. He's a very funny and talented guy!

Our beef is that I beieve that the Player's is ABSOLUTELY a Major Championship, but he disagrees, albeit for some pretty funny reasons!

Either way, if he pop's up, please welcome him, and don't take offense to either of us, if we give each other a fun rash of junk!

See ya when I have all of the editing and proff reading done!

This event was one for the ages, and I believe will be LONG remembered! I'll tell ya why in the next couple of days!

Best,

Elliott

Well, I've decided that rather than transcribing notes into day by day reports, I/m just going to write a full story to cover the week. Hopefully you will ALL feel like you were there!

I'm seriously considering starting my own blog. We shall see.

E

Anthony’s Trevino comment reminds me:

Trevino had just purchased a big home in a ritzy neighborhood. He was in the front of the house doing some yard work. A neighbor lady, not recognizing the ‘Merry Mex’ and looking for a landscaper, inquired, “What do you get for your work?”

“Well,” he said, “the lady of the house lets me sleep with her occasionally.” :tongue4[1]:

Archived