Rinsing Off ONRWW

gmr19

On 11/3/2023 at 10:13 AM, Ron@Optimum said:

in general coatings can be layered, but not sure mixing products will work.  Gloss-Coat is easy to polish off and I'd guess UK 3.0 would be too, specially because it's past it's shelf life.  I'd think 1 pass with Hyper Polish and your good to go.

I've had both fight me using Hyper Polish on a  polishing pad. 

But - they were not towards the end of their service life!

On 11/3/2023 at 9:31 AM, Grant said:

I installed C-Quartz UK 3.0 3 years ago and Gloss Coat sounds very similar to that product. But I’ve noticed the water doesn’t bead up like it used to. Can I gloss coat on top of an old ceramic coating?

UK 3.0 is a really nice coating. I've used it, but I prefer Gloss Coat. 

The reasons:

1. Single layer

2. No topper recommended

3. No applicators to throw in the trash.

4. No leveling towels to throw in the trash.

5. Quick install.

6. Can be topped with Opti-Seal one hour after installation and be released to the customer. 

7. Very durable

That is with the last version. I haven't used my new formula yet (saving that for my friend's Porsche GT3, and a Corvette for a new client). The old formula... I had a customer take his car through the car wash every day in the summer, and the Gloss Coat took the brunt of the damage. It was about three years later, but when I polished it, I have to assume the marring was in the coating, which was easier to polish than the paint.  I did his car and a neighbor's - both in 2017 when I got my first syringe. The other car was a Nissan "Godzilla" it's a weekend driver, and he tells me all the time how much he loves it. 

I experimented with UK3.0 using one layer, two, topping a section of each with Gliss. No problems, but man, to get the maximum is a lot of work, even though they're relatively easy to work with. Wait an hour, apply the second coat, wait four hours and apply Gliss, or wait one hour and apply Reload... Way too much time to invest for me, when I can just apply Gloss Coat. 

I also enjoy the occasional application of Car Wax. That's a no-no with other coatings most of the time. 

Wait, why are there no applicators or leveling towels to throw in the trash with Gloss-Coat?  I typically use the blue Scott towels for applying coatings (old Anthony Orosco trick), but I mostly do small areas like headlights and wheels, and I go back over it with that if I have any spots that didn't flash right.

10 hours ago, Setec Astronomy said:

Wait, why are there no applicators or leveling towels to throw in the trash with Gloss-Coat?  I typically use the blue Scott towels for applying coatings (old Anthony Orosco trick), but I mostly do small areas like headlights and wheels, and I go back over it with that if I have any spots that didn't flash right.

When I use Gloss Coat, I wash the blue foam applicator immediately after use, and let dry for next time.  With cquartz type coatings, the microfiber suede swatches need to be changed during the application process. The coating starts to cure on the swatch, which can be problematic, and cause scratches.

With Gloss Coat I can level high spots with the applicator, or the TRC Pearl weave towels. Again, toss in the ONR bucket until ready to wash and that towel can last forever. With the other coatings, they either crust up, or clog the microfiber towel. 

These are HUGE reasons I keep Gloss Coat in my #1 position for coatings. 

Anthony's trick was to take a nitrile glove, put a round yellow foam applicator in it, then wrap a piece of Scott blue shop towel around it.  It wouldn't surprise me if the "swatch around the foam block" was a more elegant emulation of Anthony's method, which of course goes back to the original Opti-Coat 15 years ago.  And of course the "saver"  applicators are also an extension of that original idea, a foam core topped by a non-absorbent barrier topped by an absorbent "cloth".  You can see there's a reason Anthony was Dr. G's go-to guy for a long time for testing, etc.  Anthony was also very early with videos of ONR and coating application.

Anyway, I usually do it some way with the Scott towel, that way if it gets dirty or crusty I just throw it away.  Not that I do very much coating, as I said, it seems mostly headlights and wheels.