opti-seal and collinite 845

philttz

I want to prep my paint for the coming winter months

with these 2 products. which order is best to apply?

collinite is an insulator wax that is suppose to last 5+ months

which is awesome for a carnuba.

I have not used either product before, any help would be appreciated.

I want to prep my paint for the coming winter months

with these 2 products. which order is best to apply?

collinite is an insulator wax that is suppose to last 5+ months

which is awesome for a carnuba.

I have not used either product before, any help would be appreciated.

With 100 degree days here in California.... it is hard to even think about winter!! Having said that, I have used this very combo and love the look and results I get on metallic paints. I recommend that after a good washing and polish, add 1 to 2 coats of Opti-Seal and then after 24 hours, add as many coats of 845 as you would like. In reality though, anything over two thin coats is just wasting wax.

The look is awesome and the nice thing is that 845 seems to really play well with Optimum Spray Wax as well.

good to hear just as an observer. I use opti-seal either with OCW or whatever else I have. I've been wanting to try Collinite but wasn't quite sure which version was the most popular. Is 845 the go-to?

personal choice really....

I love 845 as its a liquid and is so easy to use - seems to have a richer wetter look as well. 476 was just a PITA, although probably lasts a good bit longer if thats a key need :rolleyes:

personal choice really....

I love 845 as its a liquid and is so easy to use - seems to have a richer wetter look as well. 476 was just a PITA, although probably lasts a good bit longer if thats a key need :rolleyes:

I haven't tried 845 as I started with 476s and haven't felt the need to switch. I apply it very thin with a PC and haven't found it to be the PITA others have. Also, even if it is harder to use than 845, I am willing to make that trade in exchange for the increase in longevity. Where I live, I need all the help I can get. (I need my winter detail to last until April.)

As bigpikle said, it's personal choice and preference. Over the past couple weekends, I have polished and applied two coats of 476s on copper red metalllic paint. It looks great to me. In the coming weeks, I'll probably apply OCW &/or OID after washing, so long as the weather holds up here. I love the ease of use and the look those products give as well. But 476s is my winter security blanket.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got a break in the rain last weekend was able to do an ONR wash, followed by OCW and OID. It was a bit colder than recommended for the OCW (it was upper 40s or maybe just 50) and the OID was streaky when I left it, but it cleared up by the time I saw it next the following morning. It has been raining almost all week and today was the first day I got to see it in good light. (Our weather usually isn't this bad.)

I am happy to report that 476s + OCW/OID is a stunning combination. My metallic red paint has a wonderful deep wet shine. I think it looks better than new. The Puritan in me feels like I should have to work harder to get these results. I still can't get over how great Optimum products are.

I finally got a break in the rain last weekend was able to do an ONR wash, followed by OCW and OID. It was a bit colder than recommended for the OCW (it was upper 40s or maybe just 50) and the OID was streaky when I left it, but it cleared up by the time I saw it next the following morning. It has been raining almost all week and today was the first day I got to see it in good light. (Our weather usually isn't this bad.)

I am happy to report that 476s + OCW/OID is a stunning combination. My metallic red paint has a wonderful deep wet shine. I think it looks better than new. The Puritan in me feels like I should have to work harder to get these results. I still can't get over how great Optimum products are.

Sounds really great! Would be nice to see some pictures of that combination on your car. Did you consider topping 476 with Opti-Seal to help lock-in the wax and add some extra shine?

Sounds really great! Would be nice to see some pictures of that combination on your car. Did you consider topping 476 with Opti-Seal to help lock-in the wax and add some extra shine?
The idea sounds good, but I think I have read where Opti-Seal "migrates" through the wax and bonds to the paint.

I certainly don't understand how it can/does do that, but if it does. it won't be on top of the 476 to lock anything in.

The idea sounds good, but I think I have read where Opti-Seal "migrates" through the wax and bonds to the paint.

I certainly don't understand how it can/does do that, but if it does. it won't be on top of the 476 to lock anything in.

I've read conflicting reports on the migration. Scottwax (posts a lot at autopia) who is an experienced detailer of many years says on cars he has done this migration does not take place.

I don't have any personal experience with this regarding carnuaba but I do currently have OS over NXT and the OS is sitting right on top without any migration whatsoever. Of course NXT is a sealant also but OS is not going to the paint trying to bond with it.

Additionally Poli-Seal has carnuaba and I have read no reports from anyone saying that it migrates when topped with OS.

Maybe someone else can weigh in here as the issue seems to be unresolved as to whether there is wax migration or not.

I am a terrible photographer but the sun just came out and I tried to capture the effect. It really looks much richer in person. (My apologies if I screw up the photo upload.) Mazda calls the color copper red mica.

I haven't bought Opti-Seal yet but am interested and expect I'll try it next season. Maybe by then we'll have the migration debate settled! Anyway, 'til then, I'd darn happy with the OCW and OID.

hpim0754js7.th.jpg

hpim0759bh4.th.jpg

hpim0763ob1.th.jpgthpix.gif

Thanks Talex26. Detailing is pretty addictive. I love getting that wow factor. My active detailing season is probably pretty close to done as soon it will be below freezing up here . Then until spring, I'll just have to content myself with the touchless wash and watching how well my product arsenal protects my car from the ravages of winter. I think my car is more ready for winter than I am.

Car looks great and the color matches well right now with the fall colors :thumbsupup[1]:

If you have a garage then you can use a hair dryer to warm the paint up when using OCW or OID. Or just use less product over a smaller area in the colder temps.

Or.......just move South! :cheese1[1]:

Anthony

Archived