Finally tried my test sample of Opti-Coating

Scott H.

I tried it on a fender a while back-the same one I got to practice the rotary on. I then promptly forgot about it due to my then upcoming surgery, visits from my kids, etc.

I decided to try it on a few sections of my own car. The spoiler, mirrors and front bumper...then I got carried away and applied it to my whole car, wheels included.

The application is a little tricky compared to Opti-Seal. If you can apply it thin enough, I guess you can get away with it flashing off with nothing to buff. Since any thick areas cannot be wiped off later and will in fact have to be polished off, I decided to err on the side of caution.

What seemed to work very well was to use a large MF covered foam pad. Lightly spritz one side and then spread, then flip it over and continue to work down any high spots (sort of like what works with Acrylic Jett). I then waited about a minute and then went over the section with a MF towel. I also applied it to the sunroof glass and windshield. What was interesting is how there seemed to be some filling properties in a couple of the bird bomb etchings in my hood (the previous owner was obviously not much of a detailer, if at all ) making them somewhat less visible.

The look is similar to Opti-Seal, wet and glossy. It is also very slick.

Rain isn't forecast at least through January 20th so no idea when I can see how it beads. Going to be hard to not put anything over it, also will be doing some conventional washing so the polymers in ONR don't give it a small boost with each wash.

3072My_Maxima_OC_front2.jpg

3072My_Maxima_OC_frontend1.jpg

3072My_Maxima_OC_side1.jpg

3072My_Maxima_OC_wheel1.jpg

3072My_Maxima_OC_frontend2.jpg

Looks nice. I will apply it to my mother in laws Toyota, it will be a durability test since I am the only one who washes the car. Any more tips of application? Maybee Bence, Antony and the others can chime in?

Looks nice. I will apply it to my mother in laws Toyota, it will be a durability test since I am the only one who washes the car. Any more tips of application? Maybee Bence, Antony and the others can chime in?

I do have a video of the application process and I will.......I WILL post it up as soon as we are done with the car it will be applied to.

As for a release date.....I still have no idea but I know that Doctor G. is finalizing some paper work (yes, I know it's been going on for a long time, be patient a while longer) for Opti-Coat and seeking to choose the best application method as we get set to offer training for not only the coating and its application but detailing in general, paintless dent work, clear bra installs and window tinting. So if you're looking to expand your offerings you may want to think about coming to train with us.

Anthony

What kind of surgery Scott?

I had an umbilical hernia that progressed to a ventral hernia. Got sliced open, the surgeon sewed some mesh into my abdominal wall and stitched me back up. Surgery was at 7:30 AM and I was on the way home (actually, to my brother's house) to recover before noon the same day. A little more than 6 weeks later and I have fully recovered, and I mean fully. 100 crunches and 100 incline sit-ups and worked chest and back with weights the other day. Absolutely zero pain. ZERO!

Very nice write up Scott. Do you plan on doing updates and durability reports for us? Your car looks great BTW.

I definitely plan to keep track of how the coating performs on my car. Going to be hard to just stick with washing it...but then again, that frees up time for other things, right?

Here are a few shots in better lighting:

3072My_Maxima_OC_sun_frontend1.jpg

3072My_Maxima_OC_sun_side1.jpg

3072My_Maxima_OC_sun_flake1.jpg

I need to get a few night shots under street lights. The paint has an incredible glow to it.

• 2 months later...

Archived