Dr. G, possible clay replacement?

gbackus

I know Autopia is marketing that stuff at a pretty nice price (for them) Now, I have a little local company 10 miles from my house called Majestic Solutions, they sell the same thing for 20 bucks. The guy said they are all made in one factory overseas and that a lot of US companies are getting and re-badging them. My best friend and fellow detailer bought one and swears it's MUCH better than clay, any clay. The big advantage I see is you can wash/clay pretty much at the same time, just mix the wash a little stronger or keep a spray bottle of ONR at QD strength handy. I'll get one this Sat and try it myself, stay tuned.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm resurrecting this old thread, as it never concluded. Based on a glowing review on another board, I bought one. It is a stiff black sponge, covered on one side with a 1/16" coating of a tacky, rubbery substance. No abrasive that I could detect. I used it with the ONR clay-lube mix. The sponge glides along and you really notice when you hit contaminants. It works very well. The caveat is that it must be rinsed and wiped frequently. That is no different than kneading clay, working into a ball, then flattening for a fresh surface. It did not mar any more than clay does if not used properly. The downside is that it will not go into tight places, you would still need clay for that. The upside is speed. Works much faster and IMO yields a smoother surface with less effort. If you clay a lot, you should definitely give one of these a shot. Caution: While these are sold by many retail sites, the price varies WILDLY! A little research prior to purchase is definitely worthwhile. Regarding Dr. G's comment about the patent holders for the clay, there is no way any court could construe this sponge as being "clay." If this catches on, patent infringement suits by a certain company may no longer be profitable.

Guys, I must apologize...I'd give you the name of the retailer, but it doesn't matter any more. When I bought these, they were so cheap I wondered if someone hadn't made a mistake. I jumped on it and bought several. When I read Bence's post I checked the site...sure enough, they had increased the price by a FACTOR of 10!!! For once, I was in the right place at the right time. In any event, these sponges are quite good, and are truly a superior clay replacement based on my limited use. Are they worth twenty bucks each? You decide. Is clay really worth what we pay for it? I doubt it. Again, I'm sorry if I got your hopes up.

• 6 months later...

I have two black foam blocks and have used one of them. They do work faster than the ol' clay that I have used. you can hear and feel the surface being cleaned. However, like a former response, tight areas, or ridges are harder as you can't "form" it like traditional clay.

On full details, I do use the ABC from Valugard--graduate of PrepExcellence. Except for overspray, it leaves the surface squeaky clean and ready for polishing. I like the idea that I can do this with a liquid and not a rubbing material on the paint. Directions must be followed.

For express details where you need a smooth surface in order to seal, the block will go faster.

Rob

Optimum will soon have out a contaminate remover/hard water spot remover/rust remover :thumbsupup[1]: That works very well in conjunction with clay or one of these clay sponges as I have been testing it with both materials. I soaked some tools in a solution of it (they had rust on them from being in the rain) and after a few minutes the rust was kinda foaming and with some light agitation from a toothbrush it all came off.

This is another product that can play multiple roles in your detailing arsenal. It works faster than the ABC system but I have not compared them side by side.

Anthony

Anthony....Oh this is glorious news!

Seriously......I cannot wait..........!!!!!!!!!

Is it a multiple system like ABC or a one application step......or should I say....One product which one may dilute to one's needs.

Working between the rain drops in SoCal.....Imagine....rain in SoCal?!!!!!!!

Paul

Archived