Opti seal base for opti gloss? help me please

Guest Jgarcia

I was detailing a car yesterday and run out of daylight (detailing on location). The light was not appropriate to apply opti gloss ( I would not have been available to see the high spots) and the owner wanted to protect the paint until the layer of opti gloss. My best bet at th time was to put a coat of opti seal, which I did due to how easy it is to apply.

Now, tomorrow ( Sunday Sept 27th) I have to apply opti gloss and I am wondering was is the best approach for this considering the paint has a layer of opti seal on. I certainly do not want to polish again (this car has 7 hours of polishing) and I am wondering if the seal and gloss are compatible chemically in a way that you could apply one after the other. If not, what would be the easiest way to remove the seal whithout polishing?

I have eraser and power clean that I could use so I am hoping one of those will do the trick.

Please advise as I want to spend th less time possible while being highly effective on this project tomorrow.

Thank you

Update, so I ended up doing some extra polishing and the paint came out very awesome. There is a big problem though.

Unfortunately, my application of opti gloss back fired and ended up with lots of steaks in certain areas. Now the coating is cured and looks like I will have to polish the car again. I am not a happy camper because I put a lot of hours on this car.

I checked and checked the car for high spots in many ways, in bright sun, flashlights, different angles, you name it.

I found that High spots are easy to find when they are obvious and missed a few hidden spots, big ones. The streaking is obvious in certain light (overcast sky).

Now I need to polish the car again. I am feeling very frustrated.

Is it possible to polish opti gloss? Does it take long to remove? And would you recommend hyper compound or hyper polish?

Looking for the best strategic approach as this job needs to turn out excellent.

I'm sorry this project has become so difficult and my guess is you didn't remove all the Opti-Seal, interfering with Gloss-Coat bonding and caused streaking. Yes, you can remove any Optimum Coating with polish/compound. I'd recommend Hyper Polish for Gloss-Coat and it should polish off pretty easily. To test, spray water after polishing and if it beads, the coating is still there.

I am not sure if opti seal was there, I assumed that 6 section passes per panel with hyper polish and a black pad would do the trick? Not sure. could the streaking be caused by the panels being hot? Would this be possible assuming opti seal was removed?

I also found the applicator that came with opti gloss not very good. I am thinking that next time I will use a block plus swede applicator...

Other than the streaks, the coating is very nice, the car looks very nice if it was not for the streaking (which is hardly visible unless you are ocd like I am). In certain light it is totally unnoticeable, which is how I missed it in the first place.

Tomorrow morning the flex comes out, I am hoping that I can level it out by poling while preserving the coating....

We will see

Drama queen reporting back. lol.

Well, to my surprise, removing opti gloss with hyper polish and a blue pad with the flex in speed 5 (DA polisher) was very easy and required less than 4 passes.

I removed opti gloss from hood and driver's side C panel which were the worst. I have applied Opti seal to the C panel to give it protection again, and will apply opti detailer + opti wax to the hood (I think).

Guest Jgarcia

Good to know Ron, thank you.

I will try that next time. I realized that the coating is quite easy to remove so I am thinking that it might not suit the clients that do things to their cars all the time as it will likely come off as soon something is applied to the paint, polish or etc...

In my head I had this picture of coating being very hard to remove once they were on the paint but this is not the case, my conception of a coating was a bit twisted by my short experience with them. This was a good experience.

For my personal car, since I will be doing touch ups, and maintenance here and there, Opti seal + Opti wax seems to be the way to go. I will offer Opti gloss to clients that do not do anything to the cars except the odd wash/touchless wash here and there...

Gloss-Coat will last as long or longer than any other non-professional coating. Strong cleaners will reduce it over time, polishes and compounds can remove it also, but it provides more protection than the manufacture's clear coat. Optimum errs on the side of understatement - would rather under promise and over perform! You are not doing customers a dis-service in applying, as long as they take reasonable precautions and provide modest maintenance.

Archived