ONR on salty cars - Question about drying

I'm slowly warming up to ONR but quickly got scared a little bit in the drying process. I'm using ONR with multiple microfibers that I do not re-introduce into bucket.

Usually in summer a do a normal 2 bucket wash and soak my drying towel (Chemical Guys gray matter) in water and ring it out, then do 2-3 sprays on it of beadmaker and another 2-3 sprays on the pannel I dry. Now with ONR, my towel is dry but I spray about 5 sprays of beadmaker on it then 2-3 on the pannel. One thing I kinda didn't like was that in some cases I could see still a bit of dirt inside of bubbles or like some dirty water, I wasn't to sure if it was ok to go over it or not, I did but I'm sure I probably shouldn't have. Instead should've done a another pass with a cleaning microfiber that I used before but oh well.

That said, my question is, should I maybe opt for a plushier drying towel for cases like these where they could safely remove that dirt or what you all recommend I do differently. For some context, here is what car looks like when dirty, as you can see I only had enough towels for my first time to do half the car and roof and hood and trunk , next time I'll add more towels lol! Note I also do a ONR pre soak.

aqLIhkS.jpg

MWz7m1I.jpg

aqLIhkS.jpg

• 6 months later...
On 11/18/2019 at 4:51 PM, TheMidnightNarwhal said:

I'm slowly warming up to ONR but quickly got scared a little bit in the drying process. I'm using ONR with multiple microfibers that I do not re-introduce into bucket.

Usually in summer a do a normal 2 bucket wash and soak my drying towel (Chemical Guys gray matter) in water and ring it out, then do 2-3 sprays on it of beadmaker and another 2-3 sprays on the pannel I dry. Now with ONR, my towel is dry but I spray about 5 sprays of beadmaker on it then 2-3 on the pannel. One thing I kinda didn't like was that in some cases I could see still a bit of dirt inside of bubbles or like some dirty water, I wasn't to sure if it was ok to go over it or not, I did but I'm sure I probably shouldn't have. Instead should've done a another pass with a cleaning microfiber that I used before but oh well.

That said, my question is, should I maybe opt for a plushier drying towel for cases like these where they could safely remove that dirt or what you all recommend I do differently. For some context, here is what car looks like when dirty, as you can see I only had enough towels for my first time to do half the car and roof and hood and trunk , next time I'll add more towels lol! Note I also do a ONR pre soak.

aqLIhkS.jpg

MWz7m1I.jpg

aqLIhkS.jpg

I realize this is an old post but didn't see any replies

I will go over the panels a second time with my wash media if I see any residual dirt or discoloration (all my cars are white so it is easier to see). You want the drying step to only be drying, not drying and cleaning

One of the reasons I like drying with ONR (I dunk my drying microfiber towel in the ONR bucket and wring it out until dry) is that I believe it confers a little more protection and allows me to be more flexible with my choice of drying towel. I like small, low pile, 365gsm towels over plush towels. Haven't had a problem (with scratching) using my drying towel of choice even though they aren't thought of as conventional drying towels.

@darrvao777 Do you follow up with a dry drying towel? If not, no problems like smears? I seem to have slight smearing when using an ONR dampened (Soaked and wrung out) drying towel, especially on glass. My towels are new. 

My process right now:

- wash"

- dry" with dampened towel

- dry with dry towel and I have a seperate dry towel for glass.

I also use small ~350 gsm towels, but dual pile (one terry-type side, one open loop side). For glass I use the terry side. I haven't really used Car Wax or Opti-seal yet, I just love ONR on itself so much right now.

16 hours ago, Heijneker said:

@darrvao777 Do you follow up with a dry drying towel? If not, no problems like smears? I seem to have slight smearing when using an ONR dampened (Soaked and wrung out) drying towel, especially on glass. My towels are new. 

My process right now:

- wash"

- dry" with dampened towel

- dry with dry towel and I have a seperate dry towel for glass.

I also use small ~350 gsm towels, but dual pile (one terry-type side, one open loop side). For glass I use the terry side. I haven't really used Car Wax or Opti-seal yet, I just love ONR on itself so much right now.

you do get some smearing with the slightly dampened towel 

i also dry with opti seal and that seems to eliminate that problem 

if you are only using onr you’ll probably want a dry towel too