Removing road paint splatter on Opti-Coat Pro+

Nik

What would be recommended way to remove extremely tiny road paint splatter/dots on the front of the car (car treated with Opti-Coat Pro+ 10 months ago) that do not come off with PowerClean, Ferrex, MDR or Tar Remover?

Normally we recommend Optimum TAR - allow it to dwell for an hour +, then pressure wash.  If that doesn't work, other options are WD 40, dwell for 1 - 2 hours, or petroleum jelly for 8-12 hours and pressure wash.  None of those product will remove Opti-Coat Pro+.

Am wondering what brake cleaner, if used on ceramic coating to remove tar, would do to the coating?   No, I've not tried that (have not used it on brakes either -  yet) !  

There are apparently two kinds of brake cleaner (both hyrdocarbon; one highly flammable ("bomb in a can"), the other non flammable but possibly ozone damaging).

• 1 month later...
On 6/6/2021 at 11:08 PM, Ron@Optimum said:

Normally we recommend Optimum TAR - allow it to dwell for an hour +, then pressure wash.  If that doesn't work, other options are WD 40, dwell for 1 - 2 hours, or petroleum jelly for 8-12 hours and pressure wash.  None of those product will remove Opti-Coat Pro+.

I finally had the time to try Optimum TAR but it didn't work.

I was scared to leave it for 1+ hour as it started drying on the surface. 

Is it really ok to leave it dry on the surface for that long and then just pressure wash?

Also Optimum TAR doesn't come off easy from the ceramic coating at all. It is all greasy and streaky and would probably take me a couple of washes with Power Clean to really  take it off.  Any tips of how to completely remove Optimum TAR after this procedure?

P.S. Car has PPF on the front and Opti Coat Pro+ is applied on top of the PPF. Optimum TAR looks really bad on the parts where there is PPF.

we recommend wheel cleaner for water spots and know it's safe on clear coat and ceramic coatings - not sure about brake cleaner but suspect it's safe as well.  Power Clean would be my suggestion for TAR - but you might try mineral spirits as well.  Again, Opti-Coat Pro is extremely chemically resistant to anything short of industrial strength cleaners. 

Ok so Power Clean to completely remove Optimum Tar.

Any comment about Optimum Tar dwelling for 1  hour+ on the car and effectively drying. Is that going to be an issue?

Also what is the reason that Optimum TAR looks extremely bad on PPF that is treated with Opti Coat Pro+? It looks considerably worse compared to regular clear coat treated with Opti Coat Pro+. The clear cote + Opti Coat Pro+ is just smudgy, the PPF + Opti Coat Pro+ looks almost matte.

there should be no problem with allowing TAR to dwell for 1 hour (there have been tests leaving TAR to dry on paint for 24 hours with no negative issues) -= that's why I recommended it.  As to why TAR looks bad on PPF, that's just how it looks - it's a gooey product and takes some effort to remove.

• 3 weeks later...

Ron I tried leaving TAR for 90 minutes, washed it as instructed but road paint splatter didn't go away.

I skipped WD-40 and went straight to petrolium petroleum jelly for 12 hours. I applied it on a small area just to test and had some effect - while wiping it away it remove some tiny dots of road paint splatter without any scrubbing.

Can I leave petrolium jelly for a few days as the road paint is months old now and probably needs a lot of dwell time to work its magic?