Opti-Coat Pro Primer Polish

Understood that the primer polish that comes with the Pro/Pro Plus kit is to be used as the final polish step before coating for better bonding. My questions is this:

Is it mandatory to use the primer polish?

How long would I have to wait after using primer to apply the coating?  Can I apply the coating right away?  Other companies that have their own primer for their coatings either has a 1 hour or 24 hour waiting period before applying their coatings. 

Unless something has changed in the last two years, Hyper Polish and Primer Polish (comes in opti-coat kits) is the same.  All Optimum sprayable polishes/compounds (Hyper Polish, Intensive Polish and Hyper Compound) contain additive which aids in Optimum coatings bonding to the surface.  So in fact depending on paint you can finish with Intensive Polish before applying coating.

4 hours ago, Detail Mutant said:

Unless something has changed in the last two years, Hyper Polish and Primer Polish (comes in opti-coat kits) is the same.  All Optimum sprayable polishes/compounds (Hyper Polish, Intensive Polish and Hyper Compound) contain additive which aids in Optimum coatings bonding to the surface.  So in fact depending on paint you can finish with Intensive Polish before applying coating.

Thanks Mutant for the clarification. I was wondering if it was the same. Had I’d known that, it would’ve saved me 1-2hrs off my total install of pro+. 

9 hours ago, Ron@Optimum said:

originally Primer Polish and Hyper Polish were slightly different formulas, Primer containing components that helped ceramic coatings bond.  Shortly after Dr G added those chemicals to Hyper Polish and today they are the same.

How’s about Intensive polish like what mutant says?  Will that be considered a primer polish too? 

22 hours ago, Ron@Optimum said:

Intensive Polish is like compound, with greater correction capabilities.  Using it might require follow up with Hyper Polish to correct marring.

Especially if using on softer paints will need to follow up with Hyper Polish.  Generally I have found Intensive Polish provides more than acceptable finish on harder paints (BMW, Mercedes) when used with appropriate pad. As Ron indicated all sprayable polishes/compounds contain additive for improving coating bond so only depends on what result you want based on the paint you are working on.

• 2 years later...
On 8/2/2021 at 6:11 AM, Ron@Optimum said:

originally Primer Polish and Hyper Polish were slightly different formulas, Primer containing components that helped ceramic coatings bond.  Shortly after Dr G added those chemicals to Hyper Polish and today they are the same.

Interesting... I'm just wondering though:

Since the paint should get thoroughly wiped down with an IPA solution such as Paint Prep after polishing with Primer Polish and before applying the ceramic coating, how can any catalysts or anything else included in Primer Polish actually remain or leave the painted surface any more ready for the ceramic than other finishing polish that don't contain fillers, silicon, etc.? 

Really it's a question for personal knowledge more than anything else... 

first, since Primer Polish is a replacement for IPA, no wipe down is required before coating.  Second, components of Primer Polish can attach to clear coat and not be removed by wiping, similar to the way Optimum sealants used as drying aids are not removed by drying towels.

1 hour ago, Ron@Optimum said:

first, since Primer Polish is a replacement for IPA, no wipe down is required before coating.  Second, components of Primer Polish can attach to clear coat and not be removed by wiping, similar to the way Optimum sealants used as drying aids are not removed by drying towels.

Wow, I'm a bit perplexed. Somehow I thought the paint had to go through that IPA wipe down after Primer Polish. But if after polishing with some other brand's compound the Primer Polish replaces that IPA wipe, then ok - got it. 

I suppose a good ONR wipe then is good enough to remove excess polishing residue and can go straight to coating, correct?