Gloss-Coat + Hyper Seal : Ultimate consumer coating system?

paulgyro

With so many consumer, and pro-coating systems on the market ranging from $75 - $200, each with their own pros/cons should we consider the mentioned combo in the tile as the ultimate combo outside of certified pro-only coatings? 

With the chemical resistance of Gloss-Coat (GC) and the sickness, hydrophobics and durability of Hyper Seal (HS) for $150 (GC $100 + $50 HS) is there a better combo on the market? 

Also, if I used this combo and applied HS every 6 months why wouldn't GC last forever? 

Indeed I did cross post to FB after posting here as seems it gets different folks.

I'll summarize the responses here for the record.  Things disappear quickly on FB!

Ron I would love to hear your comments on these questions.

One commenter believed GC would last "forever" if you keep topping it off with HS.

Others disagreed with this view.

I questioned what causes a coating to break down, is it the bond to the paint or external wear, or both?

Others questioned if HS will crosslink with GC seeing they are related products.

Also Ron, how does the gloss and slickness of HS compare to OCW?

Can you also confirm the ph resistance range of GC and HS?  

I know Yvan would also say Opti-coat is resistant to ph 0 - 14, not sure if the same if true of GC.

I know so many questions!  

Paul

and I have lots of answers, thanks to Dr G!

One commenter believed GC would last "forever" if you keep topping it off with HS. Gloss-Coat can last indefinitely with regular application of Hyper Seal (forever is a long time...)

I questioned what causes a coating to break down, is it the bond to the paint or external wear, or both?  Mostly from washing and additionally from UV breakdown

Others questioned if HS will crosslink with GC seeing they are related products. They should

how does the gloss and slickness of HS compare to OCW? Gloss and slickness is greater than OCW

Can you also confirm the ph resistance range of GC and HS?  4-10

I know Yvan would also say Opti-coat is resistant to ph 0 - 14, not sure if the same if true of GC. It is not, one of the advantages of pro products is greater chemical resistance.

56 minutes ago, Ron@Optimum said:

and I have lots of answers, thanks to Dr G!

One commenter believed GC would last "forever" if you keep topping it off with HS. Gloss-Coat can last indefinitely with regular application of Hyper Seal (forever is a long time...)

I questioned what causes a coating to break down, is it the bond to the paint or external wear, or both?  Mostly from washing and additionally from UV breakdown

Others questioned if HS will crosslink with GC seeing they are related products. They should

how does the gloss and slickness of HS compare to OCW? Gloss and slickness is greater than OCW

Can you also confirm the ph resistance range of GC and HS?  4-10

I know Yvan would also say Opti-coat is resistant to ph 0 - 14, not sure if the same if true of GC. It is not, one of the advantages of pro products is greater chemical resistance.

Thanks so much Ron!  Please pass along my thanks to Dr G as well.  

To confirm a couple of things.

GC resistant range is: ph 4-10??

HS resistant range is: ph 4-10

And a follow up question, wouldn't MDR, which if memory servers has a ph of around 2.8, nuke GC then with the long dwell times that a recommended for chemical decon?

Paul

33 minutes ago, Ron@Optimum said:

Paul - GC and HS have a pH range of 4 - 10, just like it says.  MDR will not remove Gloss-Coat.

Interesting, trying to make sense of this all.

Can you confirm the ph of MDR?  I know I saw it in an old SDS sheet but the newer sheet doesn't have it defined.

Here is my line of thinking and related questions,

If MDR has a ph of around 2.8 as I remember, how does it not remove GC which can only resist down to a ph of 4 when using MDR dwell times of 10-15 mins?

Paul

1 hour ago, Ron@Optimum said:

looking through some old notes, found this:

Gloss-Coat ideal pH = 2 to 10, do not use products with PH > 10.

Certainly good to know! That's inline what I had to my head but I couldn't find the reference.  Most likely came from the old Optimum Podcast.  Man I wish we had access to those old episodes.  I loved nerding out with Dann, Yvan, and Dr G! 

• 3 weeks later...

I have been using by this combo for the better part of two years now and have been quite happy with it.  HS in particular is such a good dry-aid that I use it every wash after I get the car mostly dry with an air blower. 

I live in the salt belt which makes HS application difficult from December to march, which leaves GC to do the heavyifting during that time.  The car also sees touchless auto car washes and coin washs to add to the abuse. I'm due for another application of GC come next spring. 

First photo was taken recently a full two years and approximately 35000km later after polish and intial application of GC. 

MWGoUxZ.jpgS5sAy0h.jpg