Safety of Optiseal when used on interior surfaces

bcwang

I don’t think this has been asked before, but since optiseal has many uses including sealing  leather seats and interior surfaces, I wonder if we should have any concern about skin contact with its  chemicals day in and day out from the optiseal. Could it be bad for you to have your skin in contact with an optisealed leather or trim surface for many hours a day? 

These days they discover chemicals are causing all sorts of health issues like sunscreen ingredients being the spotlight recently. So I wonder if the ingredients used in our detailing chemicals are safe for prolonged contact on surfaces we frequently touch. 

Interesting question.  I would guess the highest risk is in the application stage, an airborne volatile spray is probably not good for humans in an enclosed environment so some precautions would be suggested.  As for a cured product like Optiseal, I really have no idea, my guess is the risks are low.

On 9/20/2021 at 7:48 AM, Ron@Optimum said:

knowing Dr G's environmental orientation, I don't believe there's any risk from the chemicals in Opti-Seal or other OPT products.  Ceramic coatings and Clear Coat Restorer recommend care when applying.

I found the SDS for it and there are definitely warnings about skin contact, avoiding it and washing hands, etc...  So it's not completely benign.  I guess the concern is whether the safety concerns about contact drop to 0 when the sealant dries/cures, or if it's still going to transfer to your skin and possibly cause issues.

I kind of remember my hands feeling odd (tingly) after running it on a leather seat that had one of my sealants (I can't remember which one I used at the time, UIGP, WCTS, OS) on it from the night before.  It's those kind of things that give me some concern.

Opti-seal SDS

BC you seem to distrust my answers, but I'll try again.  First, if you understand SDS and legalese, you know that they can be extremely cautious in recommendations.  Many products SDS "recommend" wearing gloves, safety glasses, even respirators just to be on the safe side - very few users follow that advice. If you want "benign", use only DI water and no chemicals.  I and thousands of others have used Opti-Seal/Hyper Seal for years with no chemical reaction during or after application.  Second, Optimum does not suggest using our sealants on leather (though customers have for years with no issue), so if you use it on non proscribed surfaces and feel tingling or have concerns, don't use it.

3 hours ago, Ron@Optimum said:

BC you seem to distrust my answers, but I'll try again.  

Hi Ron, not trying to distrust your answer, but your statement "knowing Dr G's environmental orientation, I don't believe there's any risk from the chemicals in Opti-Seal or other OPT products" seems more a speculation based on knowing Dr G's mindset, rather than actually checking with him or a chemist that the surfaces are actually safe after curing.  I took it as your opinion rather than a checked up fact.  So when I saw some SDS info that showed some warnings during application, I would imagine some of those chemicals are still there that would not be healthy to be on constant contact with.  Just bringing that info to the discussion so that you might confirm an answer with Dr G.

3 hours ago, Ron@Optimum said:

Second, Optimum does not suggest using our sealants on leather (though customers have for years with no issue), so if you use it on non proscribed surfaces and feel tingling or have concerns, don't use it.

This Opticoat channel youtube video ((1) Opti-Seal, more than just a sealant - YouTube) shows usage on interior surfaces where I have the concern of constant contact (armrests) and opticoat rep answers of "yes" to a question of "can I use this on leather seats".  So from my perspective, it would seem optimum promotes or at the least accepts the usage of optiseal on interior surfaces.  There are no warnings with those recommendations on usage so general user assumption may to have no further concerns.

I am simply asking of safety now beyond the initial concern of "can it protect and look good", "does it not damage surface".  These latter two aspects are likely what most people think of to the product efficacy and whether to use it.  I am thinking beyond that due to wanting to use it on surfaces which I spend a lot of time on.  Leather/vinyl couches, recliners, plastic benches, etc.. as well as my car interior.   Knowing conclusively it's safe gives me a better feeling that I'm not increasing the chance of cancer due to chemical contact by wanting to protect my furniture surfaces with optiseal.  

I take back my statement the Optimum does not recommend using OS on leather, Yvan shows it used that way (and was an agent for OPT then) and our web site describes it as safe on leather and vinyl.  My bad, I've never recommended it for that use. Having admitted that, I repeat that it's safe on skin and has no immediate or long term effect on health.  Either believe me or not...but I'm not asking Dr G.  I take the time to follow you down rabbit holes but will not ask him.