Winter washing

HotTunaCartel

Quick question for anyone else that lives in the north or areas where there is a substantial amount of salt applied to the roads. 

As per my newbie post, just starting using ONR and OOS and love it.  Super easy to use but we are starting to go into the winter, where I live its a joy to have a day over 45 degrees during the dead of winter.  In the past this wouldn't have been a big issue but in the last 4 years our town and around the area started using salt instead of just embers.  I sealed both our vehicles and I'd like to be able to use the hot high pressure wands at the local car wash to knock a lot of buildup off.  I got a gallon of OPC which I love, but reading some posts it seems to be a difficult answer as to how much OOS it takes off.  I understand its super easy to use OOS as a drying aid which (which I've done several times)  will offer some protection until the next wash.  But I'm still not sure if there is a better option than OPC to knock the crud off after removing a lot of the salt chunks.  

Any help would be great.  

Power Clean will remove Opti-Seal,  but if you use Seal as a drying aid every wash, you can be protected.  A power wash is a good way to remove "crud" prior to an ONR wash and should not remove too much OS.  Another option is to use Opti-Coat Hyper Seal, a more robust sealant that can withstand Power Clean and is durable up to 1 year.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/25/2022 at 4:55 PM, Ron@Optimum said:

Power Clean will remove Opti-Seal,  but if you use Seal as a drying aid every wash, you can be protected.  A power wash is a good way to remove "crud" prior to an ONR wash and should not remove too much OS.  Another option is to use Opti-Coat Hyper Seal, a more robust sealant that can withstand Power Clean and is durable up to 1 year.

Thank you for the reply I'm not sure why I didn't get a notification that there was a reply.    

I've been looking into hyper seal but I had a question about opti-seal and outdoor temps.   I've read that waxes and sealant's don't bond well in temperatures under 45 degrees F.  The odd warm November temps just broke and were back to normal now.   If I'm using opti-seal as a drying aid for washes and we don't have many days here in the poconos during the winter that are above 40; am I wasting opti-seal as a drying aid if its too cold out? 

I remember doing a wash on a mini van in the low 40's. I used Opti-Seal as a drying aid, and it worked great. 

I have four cars going into a Metro Detroit winter with Opti-Seal for the first time. As I type this, we're getting our first major snowfall of the season. 

My better half just got home from bingo with my mom and said some of the roads have been salted. She's good though. Her Jeep has Gloss Coat on it. 

Both of our cars will be ONR washed and Opti-Seal will be used as a drying aid.  Granted, I do have a garage where I work out of all year round. 

I have been using ONR in below freezing norther Ohio weather for the past several years. While I have an unheated garage, it does retain heat from the engine block -- in below freezing weather, if there are water droplets (and not ice), there is no problem using ONR. This past winter, I got a portable propane bullet heater  that can get the garage toasty as it makes the environment more humane.

I take two five gallon buckets of very warm water with ONR with a bunch of microfibers soaking in the bucket. After pre-spraying/soaking with a stronger solution of ONR, I can than wash the car ---- irrespective of how much salt is on it. While some of you may be aghast at washing without rinsing, relax: there is no scratching as I have Xpel (front clip and doors) and Opticoat Pro.  My 2014 A6 TDI still looks brand new.

Yes, the colder it is, the harder it is to dry off. I was using Hyperseal as a drying aid and it worked great. However, the new formula does not flash or come off as well. Others here have suggested using  Optiseal. I will try that once it gets colder out.

The wheels are a bigger PIA. I have a $20 pump sprayer from Home Depot that I use to rinse off the wheels.

On 11/15/2022 at 9:43 PM, dlc95 said:

I remember doing a wash on a mini van in the low 40's. I used Opti-Seal as a drying aid, and it worked great. 

I have four cars going into a Metro Detroit winter with Opti-Seal for the first time. As I type this, we're getting our first major snowfall of the season. 

My better half just got home from bingo with my mom and said some of the roads have been salted. She's good though. Her Jeep has Gloss Coat on it. 

Both of our cars will be ONR washed and Opti-Seal will be used as a drying aid.  Granted, I do have a garage where I work out of all year round. 

Our town just started using salt about two years ago during the winter so it was never as bad as its been since then.  Unfortunately my truck doesn't fit in our garage without the door being open... ugh

On 11/15/2022 at 11:09 PM, Ron@Optimum said:

cold temps can causes wax and sealants to haze, but a simple ONR damp microfiber will remove any streaking.

Cool thank you

On 11/15/2022 at 11:14 PM, AMDG75 said:

I have been using ONR in below freezing norther Ohio weather for the past several years. While I have an unheated garage, it does retain heat from the engine block -- in below freezing weather, if there are water droplets (and not ice), there is no problem using ONR. This past winter, I got a portable propane bullet heater  that can get the garage toasty as it makes the environment more humane.

I take two five gallon buckets of very warm water with ONR with a bunch of microfibers soaking in the bucket. After pre-spraying/soaking with a stronger solution of ONR, I can than wash the car ---- irrespective of how much salt is on it. While some of you may be aghast at washing without rinsing, relax: there is no scratching as I have Xpel (front clip and doors) and Opticoat Pro.  My 2014 A6 TDI still looks brand new.

Yes, the colder it is, the harder it is to dry off. I was using Hyperseal as a drying aid and it worked great. However, the new formula does not flash or come off as well. Others here have suggested using  Optiseal. I will try that once it gets colder out.

The wheels are a bigger PIA. I have a $20 pump sprayer from Home Depot that I use to rinse off the wheels.

My truck does not fit in our garage without the door open but hopefully we get some nice days and I can let the paint heat up a bit in the sun even with cold temps.  I do have a laser thermometer than I can measure that temp at.  

On 11/15/2022 at 11:17 PM, AMDG75 said:

I see that Ron posted a solution while I was typing !  Yes, I should have said that the colder it is, the more "hazing" appears. Will try a damp microfiber and see how that works