FIRST TEST - VERSION 5 ONR & ULTRA CERAMIC SEAL

Ron@Optimum

Not sure I'd call this a tutorial (a little pompous) but I wanted post my first experience with V5 ONR and Ultra Ceramic Seal.

My test car is a 2001 BMW Z3 (my personal Garage Queen) - it was lightly dirty, mostly dust & pollen.  I did my usual 2 bucket mixture of V5 ONR (1 oz in 2 gallons and .5 oz in 2 gallon rinse bucket), with a Big Red Sponge/Ultimate Drying Towel.  On first impression I thought V5 was thicker than V4, more like Opti-Coat NR.  The smell is the same, slightly medicinal (Opti-Coat is more floral to me).  When shaken, V5 foamed much more than V4, ironic because in general ONR doesn't foam, much to the frustration of people who love foam cannons.  I didn't see any difference in cleaning power or release of dirt from my sponge (Dr G states better release in a benefit of V5 - but it's hard to quantify).  Another characteristic is supposed to be V5 slickness, but because I used Ultra Seal as a drying aid immediately, I couldn't test. 

Ultra Ceramic Seal comes in the traditional Optimum bottle/sprayer, not the Opti-Coat style.  I found the sprayer easier to modulate and used much less product than Hyper Seal.   Ultra worked well as a drying aid and looked great (still does).  The most obvious quality was slickness (I know gloss, shine, slickness, etc are very hard to compare) - I felt the improvement was tangible...and continues today, 7 days later.  Hydrophobics were top notch.  This week I'll be washing another car and this time will experiment - one half original ONR/Hyper Seal, one half V5 ONR/Ultra...or maybe I'll mix & match and really confuse us all?

• 2 weeks later...

I see that the Ultra Ceramic Seal is for sale. Do you have any videos regarding it? I’ve searched YouTube to no avail. Also, because the photo on the Ultra Ceramic Seal page is small, I believe I can discern that the bottle size is 17 ounces. Is this correct? Thanks.

Lots of detail from TRCMA event.  The full OPT presentation starts at 5H 2M mark. 

Fastforward to 5H 15M for Ultra Ceramic 

While we're on the topic of Ultra Seal here, is it overkill for an uncoated car to do gloss coat, then hyper seal, then ultra ceramic seal? I certainly want the durability/longevity of gloss coat and I like the attributes of ultra seal - just wondering if I would be missing out on anything other than longevity if I skipped the hyper seal? Money and time aren't major factors - I want great protection and great gloss.

I might say that "overkill" is the middle name for many enthusiasts!  I personally have never doubled up on Wax and Opti-Seal, or Hyper Seal and Ultra Seal, but would never try to talk someone out of it.  With the introduction of Ultra Seal, my thought is to alternate it with Hyper Seal, thereby combining the best of both worlds. I'll be curious how they interact with each other.

I had the same thought about alternating as well. I'm curious to see on my paint (dark gray) if there is an appreciable difference in gloss between the two.  I'm particularly curious how Ultra Seal reacts to Hyper Seal on top and if it tones down the gloss of Ultra Seal or not.  if I'll pick up both and play around and post some progress pics later this summer once I've had some time to work with them both.