Ferrex as a clay lube?

Sephirote

Hi all, I recently came across the NV Purify Advanced Clay Lubricant 

It claims it replaces the traditional 2 steps for the decontamination stage where you usually start with an iron remover (ferrex) for chemical decontamination and then move to clay bar + clay lube for mechanical decontamination.

That's how I've always operated but with the NV purify they say you can spray onto the paint and it will act as a clay lube for the clay bar and at the same time break down iron contaminants (just like an iron remover) therefore combining both steps into 1 and potentially saving time.

I read online that I don't necessarily need to use this specific product as the idea is to use any iron remover as clay lube when claying the car so I wondered if I could use ferrex as clay lube?

Would Ferrex make a good clay lube or would it be better to stick with a dedicated clay lube?

Thanks

I can't speak to it with a traditional clay bar, but it works very well with an ONR soaked Optimum clay towel. 

On 3/13/2024 at 5:28 PM, Sephirote said:

Hi all, I recently came across the NV Purify Advanced Clay Lubricant 

It claims it replaces the traditional 2 steps for the decontamination stage where you usually start with an iron remover (ferrex) for chemical decontamination and then move to clay bar + clay lube for mechanical decontamination.

That's how I've always operated but with the NV purify they say you can spray onto the paint and it will act as a clay lube for the clay bar and at the same time break down iron contaminants (just like an iron remover) therefore combining both steps into 1 and potentially saving time.

I read online that I don't necessarily need to use this specific product as the idea is to use any iron remover as clay lube when claying the car so I wondered if I could use ferrex as clay lube?

Would Ferrex make a good clay lube or would it be better to stick with a dedicated clay lube?

Thanks

I believe there has been videos demonstrating use of Ferrex as a clay lube and saving time/steps. However, I still opt to not do it in that fashion because all that contamination from the Ferrex/iron will just be picked up by the Clay media and would decrease the life of it in my theory. 

I stick with ONR at clay lube ratio, or ONR at a minimum of 1oz/2gallon if combined with Optimum Car Wax. 

Thanks for the answer you two.

After posting I continued to browse the internet for more info and it seems like some people use FerreX (or any iron remover) as clay lube as a way to save time but from my understanding, it's more considered as a cost/time saving method and not really a "proper" way to do it.

I'll stick to separating both steps and using a clay+clay lube 

Thank you

FerreX makes an excellent clay lube and is safe - I use it once per season, but that's all I clay.  For what it's worth I think some people clay too often, unless you live in a high pollution/industrial area, once per year should be sufficient.