No DA polisher

Islandson81

For various reasons, I don't own a DA, so everything has to be done by hand using LC CCS Eurofoam Hand Pads in White and Red.

I've done several polishing sessions on my car, (and my wife's) using the above mentioned white hand pads, Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion and Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish. Both have done a great job cleaning the paint and, because of the glazing action, hiding some of the imperfections.

Now I want to try OPT GPS and see where that takes me.

Can I expect a reasonable amount of correction by hand? Since I don't have a DA, I'm not expecting miracles, but I'd like to at least lessen, if not totally get rid of, some minor hazing and VERY light scratches and swirls.

Or am I just dreaming an impossible dream?

-Ross

:(

p.s. Got a pair of Orange hand pads, but never used them. Not sure what kind of damage I can do with them. LOL

Thanks for replying, Lowe. Yeah, I kinda thought I would be SOL. Oh well. Since I can't get rid of the swirls and scratches, I can at least hide them.

Guess the detailing world is divided in two parts: those with a DA/rotary, and those without. And unfortunately I'm in the latter (and smaller) group.

Anyone out there in Optimum Land wanna do a trade....my two unused orange hand pads for a half full bottle of OCW or OS? Just kiddin'.

Happy Detailing, everyone!

I wouldn't exactly say you are SOL. Working by hand is, well...a lot of work. You CAN get correction by hand, and you certainly can improve the appearance, it's just going to be tiring. As Lowejackson noted, some of this is going to depend on the condition, color, and hardness of your paint.

As above, hand polishing is entirely possible, just take your time. I have not tried hand polishing with any Optimum polishes but I have no reason to think they would not work very well. With hand polishing a stronger polish is normally required compared to one for a machine. If I was looking for an easy to use hand polish then my starting point would be something like the Megs Ultimate Compound or to stay within the spirit of the forum Optimum Hyper Compound. If paint is very soft try the Hyper Polish or Polish II

I wouldn't exactly say you are SOL. Working by hand is, well...a lot of work. You CAN get correction by hand, and you certainly can improve the appearance, it's just going to be tiring. As Lowejackson noted, some of this is going to depend on the condition, color, and hardness of your paint.

I completely forgot to add what type of car I have. It's a '12 Honda Civic in Crimson Pearl. VERY soft paint. Condition, apart from the small defects described, is actually very good. Good thing I don't have the hard clear some of the other car manufacturers use. Then I'd REALLY have to use a DA.

As above, hand polishing is entirely possible, just take your time. I have not tried hand polishing with any Optimum polishes but I have no reason to think they would not work very well. With hand polishing a stronger polish is normally required compared to one for a machine. If I was looking for an easy to use hand polish then my starting point would be something like the Megs Ultimate Compound or to stay within the spirit of the forum Optimum Hyper Compound. If paint is very soft try the Hyper Polish or Polish II

I'm willing to put in the time and effort to clear out some of the defects. I was thinking of using Hyper Polish a few months back but liked the glazing and sealing qualities of GPS. But now it seems it doesn't offer enough cut for my needs, so I'll be following your advice and going with Hyper Polish.

From here on out, when washing and waxing, a LIGHT touch will always be used. Especially when applying Natty's Blue Paste. After my twice-yearly polishing, I use it as my base, and top with OCW. Great results! Natty's gives the depth; OCW gives the shine.

Thanks again for all of your advice. I greatly appreciate the help.

-Ross

p.s. Has anyone seen or heard from Perfections? Hope he's okay.

Archived