New from Houston - Question regarding ONR W&W

Guest DLM

I recently bought a new black car and am hoping to keep the swirls and such out. I bought a bottle of ONR wash and wax and have used that pretty much weekly for the few months since I bought the car. I have been using with a microfiber mitt and drying with two microfiber towels.

So far it looks great and water just beads off. I do have a couple of questions:

1) I know it's not necessary but I do rinse when I use this product just like if it were a normal car was soap. Is there any problem doing that?

2) Since this is a wash and wax product is there any issue with using it each week like I have due to wax build up or something?

3) Is there a need to do a more traditional paste or liquid wax in addition to using this W&W product or is the wax included here enough to protect my car?

Thanks,

Welcome to the Optimum Family! Rinsing No Rinse (sounds weird) won't cause any problems, but isn't necessary and risks water spotting. You shouldn't have any wax buildup with ONRWW. Waxing or Sealing ONR can add to appearance and durability, but with regular maintenance washes is unnecessary.

Welcome to the forum

Just to add to the above. If there is a huge amount of dirt on the car you could spray ONR and then rinse to remove the bulk of the dirt and then use ONR in the traditional way. Having said that I have used ONR on a lot of dirt and just wiped it away without any problems. Just keep turning your drying cloth over so that the paint always sees a clean cloth

1. IMO you are defeating the purpose of a rinseless product by rinsing it...in addition, if you believe the theory, then the polymers in the ONR (and the wax in ONRWW) are providing lubrication during the washing and drying, and rinsing is severely diluting or even negating that lubrication.

2. Wax buildup is a myth...I guess this got started from floor "wax", which isn't really a wax at all, but that's too long a story to go into--you can't build up car wax if you buff it off, except maybe around an emblem, etc. You're certainly not going to build up anything from ONRWW.

3. If it were me I'd prefer a "base" of a traditional wax or sealant like Opti-Seal or Optimum Car Wax and use the "wax" portion of the ONRWW as a maintenance treatment. Of course both of those are very easy to use and could be used, say, monthly, to top up the protection. I haven't used my ONRWW too much yet so I can't say for sure what the long term effect of the "wax" is, but other rinseless products with "wax" that I have used are certainly more dilute in their effect than the dedicated "wax" product.

Thanks, I'll give it a try this weekend without the hose :thumbsupup[1]: as well as pickup one of the more traditional waxes or sealants you mention above.

Archived