Grit guard with ONR?

Daniel Appel

Good afternoon Ladies and Gents

Grit guards!...do I need one in a bucket when using ONR. That’s the first question. 

My second question is, do I need a grit guard at all?

I am kinda new to the detailing world, loving it by the way, and have always seen a grit guard being used, however, never really thought if it was absolutely necessary, so never got around to purchasing one.

Doesn’t the dirt at the bottom of the grit guard swirl around the bucket when the water get’s disturbed while rinsing a wash mitt.....and if using ONR, doesn’t the ONR solution pull all the dirt to the bottom without the need of a grit guard.

So I’m at a crossroad right now and hoping those reading this can help me make a decision. Thank you in advance☺️

Pardon my stock response, but it's honestly personal preference.  The dirt/ONR combo do fall  to the bottom of the bucket (1 or 2), but the grit guard acts as a scrubbing agent, rubbing whatever your wash media against the guard dislodges dirt captured and allows more to fall out.  Use of the grit guard may be determined by how dirty your cars are...and therefore how much dirt is collecting in your media.  I do a modified 2 bucket method (have a large bucket that came divided - probably some janitors supply product - and the grit guard will not fit).  I have an Optimum 5 gallon bucket but find it unwieldly and really too big, so no guard.  I live in the South, so no salt/sand crap on cars, and I keep them pretty clean.  I rinse my sponge in one side,  squeezing it well between sections, and dip in the "wash" side for more solution.  Most of the dirt stays in the rinse side...and I don't swirl it at all.  I only qualify as sorta obsessed, but those who are totally compulsive might absolutely NEED the grit guard...and gloves and leaf blowers, and the latest/greatest.  If that's you, go for it!

On 2/27/2020 at 10:59 AM, Daniel Appel said:

Yes.  It's called cheap insurance.  If a 5 gallon bucket is too big as Ron says, use 3.5 gallon buckets, that's what I do.  Grit Guard fits fine.

Doesn’t the dirt at the bottom of the grit guard swirl around the bucket when the water get’s disturbed while rinsing a wash mitt.....

That's part of the point of the Grit Guard, it's got dividers to keep the water from swirling and minimize the disturbance of the grit.  Does  it work perfectly and infallibly?  No.  

if using ONR, doesn’t the ONR solution pull all the dirt to the bottom without the need of a grit guard.

Sure ONR sequesters stuff...and there is this thing called gravity that does make things fall to the bottom of the bucket,   But even if your wash media floats, when you use enough solution to get down to the bucket...do you want your wash media to be in all that crap?

I use a 10 quart home store paint bucket as a wash bucket (because it's translucent so I can see any contamination easily) and a 3.5 gallon rinse bucket with a Grit Guard, that has 1/4-strength ONR in it (to reduce dilution of the wash bucket).  I typically use 1/2 gallon of ONR solution to wash a small, dirty car or a large not-so-dirty car (no wheels), and about 2 gallons in the rinse bucket (you need that much to get above the Grit Guard).  Of course you need more wash solution if you are doing huge vehicles or they are very dirty.

On 2/27/2020 at 5:47 PM, Ron@Optimum said:

Pardon my stock response, but it's honestly personal preference.  The dirt/ONR combo do fall  to the bottom of the bucket (1 or 2), but the grit guard acts as a scrubbing agent, rubbing whatever your wash media against the guard dislodges dirt captured and allows more to fall out.  Use of the grit guard may be determined by how dirty your cars are...and therefore how much dirt is collecting in your media.  I do a modified 2 bucket method (have a large bucket that came divided - probably some janitors supply product - and the grit guard will not fit).  I have an Optimum 5 gallon bucket but find it unwieldly and really too big, so no guard.  I live in the South, so no salt/sand crap on cars, and I keep them pretty clean.  I rinse my sponge in one side,  squeezing it well between sections, and dip in the "wash" side for more solution.  Most of the dirt stays in the rinse side...and I don't swirl it at all.  I only qualify as sorta obsessed, but those who are totally compulsive might absolutely NEED the grit guard...and gloves and leaf blowers, and the latest/greatest.  If that's you, go for it!

Hi Ron. I’m sold. Thanks for taking the time to respond. It makes perfect sense. I have now purchased a bucket and grit guard. 

On 2/29/2020 at 1:00 PM, Setec Astronomy said:

Yes.  It's called cheap insurance.  If a 5 gallon bucket is too big as Ron says, use 3.5 gallon buckets, that's what I do.  Grit Guard fits fine.

That's part of the point of the Grit Guard, it's got dividers to keep the water from swirling and minimize the disturbance of the grit.  Does  it work perfectly and infallibly?  No.  

Sure ONR sequesters stuff...and there is this thing called gravity that does make things fall to the bottom of the bucket,   But even if your wash media floats, when you use enough solution to get down to the bucket...do you want your wash media to be in all that crap?

I use a 10 quart home store paint bucket as a wash bucket (because it's translucent so I can see any contamination easily) and a 3.5 gallon rinse bucket with a Grit Guard, that has 1/4-strength ONR in it (to reduce dilution of the wash bucket).  I typically use 1/2 gallon of ONR solution to wash a small, dirty car or a large not-so-dirty car (no wheels), and about 2 gallons in the rinse bucket (you need that much to get above the Grit Guard).  Of course you need more wash solution if you are doing huge vehicles or they are very dirty.

Hi Setec Astronomy. Thank you also for taking the time to respond. I’ve taken some pointers and will apply it to my wash method. Cheers...

Good afternoon Ladies and Gents

Grit guards!...do I need one in a bucket when using ONR. That’s the first question. 

I am kinda new to the detailing world, loving it by the way, and have always seen a grit guard being used, however, never really thought if it was absolutely necessary, so never got around to purchasing one.

Doesn’t the dirt at the bottom of the grit guard swirl around the bucket when the water get’s disturbed while rinsing a wash mitt.....and if using ONR, doesn’t the ONR solution pull all the dirt to the bottom without the need of a grit guard.

So I’m at a crossroad right now and hoping those reading this can help me make a decision. Thank you in advance☺️

HI I realy don't use a grit gard I hav e one bucket full of wash mitts with onr or optimum soap. When the wash mitt  Is dirty I get a clean one there is no chance of any dirt going back on the car works great for me especially now with all ths salt and dirt in winter  hope this helps

On 3/1/2020 at 11:51 PM, Habs said:

HI I realy don't use a grit gard I hav e one bucket full of wash mitts with onr or optimum soap. When the wash mitt  Is dirty I get a clean one there is no chance of any dirt going back on the car works great for me especially now with all ths salt and dirt in winter  hope this helps

I have tried many times to like the "single-use media" method, but I just don't.  Still trying to find the right media to make it work for me.  Makes a lot of laundry, too.

• 2 months later...

my current method involves x2 buckets

Bucket #1: bucket with ONR with 2 gallons of solution and an BRS

Bucket #2: bucket with ONR with multiple towels/washmitt 

I currently am not using any grit guard even though I have x2 grit guards on hand. 

I wash the car with BRS and dip it in the same bucket to rinse. After I have gone through the whole car with the BRS, I go through the whole car with a fresh clean microfiber towel from bucket #2. Bucket #2 never gets contaminated and continue to perhaps x5 washes. Bucket #1 gets refreshed every wash. 

However I may start incorporating detail guards just for added security. 

Yvan in his videos promoted that you shouldn't need a grit guard, and 1 bucket method is fine. 

Interesting 

I was doing this with soap i like your idea do you wring out the brs before you put in bucket  I will try this I have the opti foam  wash mitt maybe  bucket # 2 could have onr with wax ?