Poor performance by Optimum tire protection?

Hey so I applied some of this product on my winter tires before winter as a "test" because I only found out this product at the end of summer. I had applied 2 coats before winter around November and it looked great at first. Now it's almost end of winter and it's march and after cleaning my car with ONR and rubbing the tires with ONR to as mentioned in some videos I feel like my tire aren't looking really dressed. That said, I understand it's been about 4 months but I was watching all the videos and even Yvan himself mentioned it was used on the car being towed by his bus all winter and the coating was still perfect. Here how they look today.

https://i.imgur.com/1t1iHIa.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/PiKyAO1.jpg

There are many variables with a coating like TPC - how were the tires prepped, how are they maintained, what are the driving conditions, and even what brand were the tires?  Optimum suggests 6+ months for TPC, but there are no guarantees.  After 4+ months of hard winter conditions I suggest you clean with Power Clean, something more serious than ONR.  Power Clean will not remove TPC and it's possible they've become contaminated and will snap back with a strong cleaner. 

On 3/16/2020 at 1:00 PM, Ron@Optimum said:

There are many variables with a coating like TPC - how were the tires prepped, how are they maintained, what are the driving conditions, and even what brand were the tires?  Optimum suggests 6+ months for TPC, but there are no guarantees.  After 4+ months of hard winter conditions I suggest you clean with Power Clean, something more serious than ONR.  Power Clean will not remove TPC and it's possible they've become contaminated and will snap back with a strong cleaner. 

Okay, tires were prepped perfectly tires were off and they were basically new. Nokian tires. I will be doing the same this summer to my summer tires.

As for doing a better clean yeah that might be a good idea once the pressure washer comes out. I currently use another brand's wheel/tire cleaner but not sure if it can strip or destroy the coating there. Guess I ill try.

• 1 year later...
On 3/22/2020 at 1:16 PM, TheMidnightNarwhal said:

Okay, tires were prepped perfectly tires were off and they were basically new. Nokian tires. I will be doing the same this summer to my summer tires.

As for doing a better clean yeah that might be a good idea once the pressure washer comes out. I currently use another brand's wheel/tire cleaner but not sure if it can strip or destroy the coating there. Guess I ill try.

For some reason I've found Nokians more difficult for tire dressings to adhere to.  Presently I use power clean or M wash on 'em, then use hyper shield new formula as dressing.  idea is to keep brake dust from turning the Nokians brown - so far, so good.

The 3 cars I've driven with piano black trim (so many car makers use this !!!) , despite care, end up with faint spider webbing or similar fine scratches in the plastic's surface.

Wrt OptiiCoat Protectant Plus, it seems to work well hiding fine scratches in piano black trim . 

• 4 months later...

I have this product on two different vehicles. 

The first is my gf's old truck with Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo 2s. I applied the coating after two rounds of pure power clean back in June of 2021. As of today, January 28th 2022, it's still on there going strong. 

In September she bought a new Jeep, and I applied it again. I believe those tires are also Bridgestone. I didn't have the same luck with those, but I know it was due to not cleaning thoroughly enough and using too much product. The spout clogged and I took the top off to apply to my applicator. 

I'm going to wait until spring to really do a proper job on them. 

I loathe tire shine, and couldn't care less about dressed tires. Between this product and Opti-Bond, I have finally found a set of tire dressing that actually work for my style. I appreciate the greaseless, clean nature of them, and how they are dry on the tire.