ONR Process Question


Recommended Posts

Im using the BRS and I understand the theory that when the sponge gets dirty you dunk it into the solution, wring it out and the dirt falls to the bottom. Makes sense. However what prevents the the dirt in the bucket from being re-absorbed into the sponge when you go to wash the next panel? Wouldn't it take time for the dirt to fall to the bottom ? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sorry I mean while washing the car.  So when you wash a panel of the car, then dunk the dirty sponge into the bucket of ONR how long does it take the dirt particles to settle to the bottom ? If the dirt is still swirling around in the water wouldn't the sponge re-absorb the dirty solution ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Most of us who are serious car washers, when using a conventional wash, use what is know as the "two-bucket method" (2BM), where you have one bucket of soap, and one rinse bucket, some people have a Grit Guard in both.  So you rinse out the dirty sponge in the rinse bucket, wring it out, then go back to the wash bucket.  Although this isn't the Optimum company line, some of us use a rinse bucket with rinseless washes like ONR, too.  I put some ONR in the rinse bucket , about 1/4 strength, just to keep from diluting the wash too much.  I usually only use a Grit Guard in the rinse bucket for ONR, 

https://www.opticoat.com/product/grit-guard-blue/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Workingman70 said:

Ok thanks..I'll have to give that a try. I was hoping to keep things simple with a single bucket.

Wouldn't the rinse bucket get dirty too ?

The rinse bucket gets dirty, the wash bucket stays clean, that's the idea.  If you want to stick with a single bucket, I'd definitely use a Grit Guard, that will help with keeping the dirt at the bottom.  FWIW, if I'm not cleaning wheels and the car is pretty clean, I only use a half gallon of ONR in the wash bucket, you need 2 gallons in the rinse bucket to get above the Grit Guard.  I use a 3.5 gallon bucket for the rinse, and a 10 quart painters bucket for the wash.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Ron@Optimum said:

Most but not all dirt falls out of the sponge (whether you use 1 bucket or 2).  What is left is still encapsulated by ONR and lodged in the BRS cuts, so does not damage the paint. 

Ok so when you dunk the dirty sponge into the solution since some of the dirt isn't settled to the bottom, if it gets reabsorbed by the sponge its still encapsulated by the ONR.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Setec Astronomy said:

The rinse bucket gets dirty, the wash bucket stays clean, that's the idea.  If you want to stick with a single bucket, I'd definitely use a Grit Guard, that will help with keeping the dirt at the bottom.  FWIW, if I'm not cleaning wheels and the car is pretty clean, I only use a half gallon of ONR in the wash bucket, you need 2 gallons in the rinse bucket to get above the Grit Guard.  I use a 3.5 gallon bucket for the rinse, and a 10 quart painters bucket for the wash.

Yea I guess I was thinking if the rinse water is dirty, and I keep dunking the sponge in it, then the sponge would be dirty when I dunk it into the wash bucket.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I haven’t seen an issue with the wash media (sponge) getting  filled with dirt from the wash bucket. I usually use 3-4 gallons though so maybe they helps. 
 

They used to say the dirt particles get repelled within the ONR solution. 
 

one video I watched recently (I can’t remember who) was showing how the edges of the bucket got a large ring of dirt and grime on it that doesn’t happen with any wash soaps etc. So he attributed that to the ONR repelling. 
 

I dunno. For a daily driver I find one bucket and 3 gallons (some of that goes in a pump sprayer) to work great and once I stopped over thinking it I’ve loved the process, and I haven’t seen any issues arise from it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Redgrandam said:

I haven’t seen an issue with the wash media (sponge) getting  filled with dirt from the wash bucket. I usually use 3-4 gallons though so maybe they helps. 
 

They used to say the dirt particles get repelled within the ONR solution. 
 

one video I watched recently (I can’t remember who) was showing how the edges of the bucket got a large ring of dirt and grime on it that doesn’t happen with any wash soaps etc. So he attributed that to the ONR repelling. 
 

I dunno. For a daily driver I find one bucket and 3 gallons (some of that goes in a pump sprayer) to work great and once I stopped over thinking it I’ve loved the process, and I haven’t seen any issues arise from it. 

Thanks. Im probably overthinking it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Workingman70 said:

Yea I guess I was thinking if the rinse water is dirty, and I keep dunking the sponge in it, then the sponge would be dirty when I dunk it into the wash bucket.

Well you squeeze it out to get the dirty water out of it.  Maybe this will help you.  Many people use what I call the "multiple wash media method".  Most people use microfiber towels, but some use wash mitts, I personally like microfiber sponges and to be honest I have never gotten myself to like this method (and I've tried), but it's a popular method.

You mix up your bucket of wash solution, put a bunch of clean pieces of media in it (microfiber towels or mitts), take one out, wash a section of the car, dry, then throw the dirty media in an empty bucket, and move on to a new section with a new piece of media.  No rinsing, no chance of dirt getting back on the car.  In theory this should be faster, as you don't spend any time wringing out the sponge, etc., which is always why I've wanted to get it to work for me.

You can do things like go over your section with one side of the mitt, then turn it over and repeat, if the surface is very dirty.  With a towel, you fold it so it's got 8 surfaces.  The main drawback with this method is you create a lot of laundry, but it may be worth it if you've got a black car.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Setec Astronomy said:

Well you squeeze it out to get the dirty water out of it.  Maybe this will help you.  Many people use what I call the "multiple wash media method".  Most people use microfiber towels, but some use wash mitts, I personally like microfiber sponges and to be honest I have never gotten myself to like this method (and I've tried), but it's a popular method.

You mix up your bucket of wash solution, put a bunch of clean pieces of media in it (microfiber towels or mitts), take one out, wash a section of the car, dry, then throw the dirty media in an empty bucket, and move on to a new section with a new piece of media.  No rinsing, no chance of dirt getting back on the car.  In theory this should be faster, as you don't spend any time wringing out the sponge, etc., which is always why I've wanted to get it to work for me.

You can do things like go over your section with one side of the mitt, then turn it over and repeat, if the surface is very dirty.  With a towel, you fold it so it's got 8 surfaces.  The main drawback with this method is you create a lot of laundry, but it may be worth it if you've got a black car.

I do have a black SUV so I may give that a try. That sounds like the safest way.

I know I'm being OCD but when you keep dunking the sponge into dirty rinse water to me its the same as using a single bucket. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Optimum does not have a specific wash method we recommend.  If you use a single bucket, the dirt (mostly) falls to the bottom and whatever remains on your wash media is still encapsulated in ONR or is captured in folds away from the surface.  I've tried most methods (but normally uses a split bucket with rinse on one side) - with reasonable care they all work regardless of your level of OCD. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share