New to Optimum Products, Looking to do Basic Decon

Twc1313

Greetings everyone,

I’ve been a long-time detailing hobbyist and recently started using ONR and OPC.  I have excellent results and have just ordered Optiseal as well.  

My car has all kinds of different lsp’s/waxes on it currently (TW SealNShine, Collinite, carnauba wax) and has developed little wax deposits on the paint.  Obviously the mix of various chemicals on there are not working well together. I’d like to strip all that junk off my car so I can do a basic, low fuss, weekly ONR wash and follow up with Optiseal as my drying aid.  I plan to do polishing and all that stuff next spring.  

Here is what I already have: ONR, BRS, OPC, Optiseal, claymit

I’m thinking this:

1. Hose off car

2. Apply OPC 3:1 on entire car, then rinse off

3. Wash with ONR

4. Optiseal as drying aid

Is there a better way?  Thanks for your time!

2 hours ago, Ron@Optimum said:

Power Clean is a good all purpose decontaminating product and will remove wax/sealant.  Paint Prep is also good for removing wax.  Polishing will also remove contaminates.

Thanks for the fast and helpful reply.  I’m thinking I can do the steps above and add in polishing with an LC Orange Pad, wipe with ONR damp microfiber, and then wax/dry with Optiseal.  

On 8/28/2021 at 3:36 PM, Twc1313 said:

I’m thinking this:

1. Hose off car

2. Apply OPC 3:1 on entire car, then rinse off

3. Wash with ONR

4. Optiseal as drying aid

For the OPC (step #2), I would recommend agitating the OPC on the painted surfaces before rinsing off.  Just spraying on and rinsing off will only remove the weakest of wax/sealants.  My preferred method of agitating is using ONR soaked high quality microfiber towel (70/30 polyamide mix and at least 400 GSM).  My preferred towel for this agitation process is The Minx Royal from the Rag Company.  It has unique weave that makes it feel like a sponge (and very soft) when soaked in ONR.

The agitation with ONR soaked towel will help neutralize the OPC so that less water is required to rinse the vehicle as well.

If the vehicle is exposed to road salt, I would also recommend MDR for the lower panels as OPC alone is not affective in removing the salt buildup.

On 8/29/2021 at 8:42 PM, Detail Mutant said:

For the OPC (step #2), I would recommend agitating the OPC on the painted surfaces before rinsing off.  Just spraying on and rinsing off will only remove the weakest of wax/sealants.  My preferred method of agitating is using ONR soaked high quality microfiber towel (70/30 polyamide mix and at least 400 GSM).  My preferred towel for this agitation process is The Minx Royal from the Rag Company.  It has unique weave that makes it feel like a sponge (and very soft) when soaked in ONR.

The agitation with ONR soaked towel will help neutralize the OPC so that less water is required to rinse the vehicle as well.

If the vehicle is exposed to road salt, I would also recommend MDR for the lower panels as OPC alone is not affective in removing the salt buildup.

Thanks for the reply, I did do this today including your method.  Sprayed down with OPC, agitated with ONR damp microfiber.  The results were crazy, the paint was stripped of all past waxes/sealants.  Keep in mind this thing had Seal N Shine, Collinite 845, and a host of other various spray waxes and toppers.  When I rinsed the car it was clearly stripped of protection.  This is the first time I’ve dried my car and had the towel drag/stick a bit since there was literally nothing on the clear coat, amazing!

Followed up with ONR wash and dry.  DA polish with black pad and some synthetic spray sealant to protect.  Great results.