Protecting soft touch surfaces, is it possible?

bcwang

Lots of cars, especially European cars, have soft touch surfaces in their interiors. Ferrari, Maserati, MB, VW, and many more.  These surfaces always seem to become sticky and gross after a few years and it seems a big mess to deal with.  I’ve read countless complaints by people and the only solution is to dissolve that mess. However.c I’m wondering if there is a way to prevent it when new. 

Does Optimum offer any product that can protect those surfaces and prevent this degradation?  Opticoat Leather and interior?  Hyperseal/optiseal?  Protectant plus?  Does anyone have long term experience with these products on a soft touch surface and know the outcome?

It’s really sad when a car interior becomes like your old gaming mouse after a few years except you can’t just easily throw it away and buy a new one.  

Honestly.....It's a car, it's meant to be driven.  Most high end cars are not practical anyway.  People that can afford those types of cars anyway are not bothered with those kinds of things. 

How to avoid those soft touch surfaces?  Either you don't drive it and touch those areas, or just PPF it.  That's just my 2 cents!

We suggest Protectant Plus, since it cleans, coats, and protects leather/vinyl/etc.  Unlike other interior treatments, it's not sticky when applied.  Dr G has 2 German cars and uses it on his interior surfaces (and I use it on leather living room furniture).  Opti-Guard Leather would work as well, but besides being a Pro product, it's more of a coating than conditioner. 

5 hours ago, digital808 said:

Honestly.....It's a car, it's meant to be driven.  Most high end cars are not practical anyway.  People that can afford those types of cars anyway are not bothered with those kinds of things. 

How to avoid those soft touch surfaces?  Either you don't drive it and touch those areas, or just PPF it.  That's just my 2 cents!

Are we talking about the same thing here?  I’m pretty sure Ferrari owners are quite pissed that their hvac controls and radio buttons stick to their finger when they touch it and look like crap. And it has nothing to do with touching it causing it. You can have the car garaged and undriven for the entire time and in 5 years or so the material just starts to melt and dissolve.  PPF the buttons and console?  I’ve never heard of that but that certainly doesn’t make sense since it’s a matte soft surface. You’ll certainly ruin it with ppf adhesives. 

57 minutes ago, bcwang said:

Are we talking about the same thing here?  I’m pretty sure Ferrari owners are quite pissed that their hvac controls and radio buttons stick to their finger when they touch it and look like crap. And it has nothing to do with touching it causing it. You can have the car garaged and undriven for the entire time and in 5 years or so the material just starts to melt and dissolve.  PPF the buttons and console?  I’ve never heard of that but that certainly doesn’t make sense since it’s a matte soft surface. You’ll certainly ruin it with ppf adhesives. 

Blame the people/companies that are trying to save the earth.  I've seen dashboards on 100K Lexus's melt.  Can't do anything about it.  If you don't want it to melt, keep it out of the heat and in a temp controlled room.  

A problem with many soft plastics is they outgas plasticizes when heated.  In cars that means fogged windows and who knows what else.

I wonder if Protectant Plus helps control outgassing?  It does keep my leather clean (whole interior was Opti-coated earlier).

On 10/5/2021 at 1:49 PM, bcwang said:

Just an FYI….if you research, the company Kavaca, PPF’s interior areas that are prone to scratches. You can PPF anything if you have a plotter that can cut.  

Pro installers PPF piano black finishes all the time. Piano black finishes are notorious for marring/scratching. But if you want to prevent scratches…..that’s your only option

But as far PPF’ing, I don’t believe in it because it’s more of A PAIN IN THE ASS removing it. Most people don’t think that far.  

• 1 month later...